1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out To My School

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MadeUpUsername, Mar 16, 2012.

1. MadeUpUsername

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Ok so I go to a small school near Tuscaloosa alabama where nearly everyone is super conservative Christian. I find myself really wanting to come out to my school as bisexual (currently only 4 people know) but I'm scared that I'll lose a lot of my friends. Shoul I tell them or just wait??:help:

2. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all, welcome to EC! :grin:
    As this is your school and not your parents, I don't think it would really matter. However, being in a Christian school (not really, but as you said most people are Christian), you might get a lot of discrimination and hate from others. Your friends, though, will most likely stick by your side and support you if they're really truly your friends. :slight_smile:
    I would say tell everyone little by little, starting with your best friends and going a little outward. See how people react and test them. If it's good, you could try coming out to your entire school, with the risk of people you don't know much showing hate towards you, or if it's bad, you could wait a little. You'll probably have to come out eventually though. But only when you're ready. :slight_smile:

3. Fluttershy

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I'd say just wait, schools can be harsh, especially at a younger age. If your friends are true friends, they won't abandon you, but you will probably get severely judged by others.

Not trying to dissuade you if that's what you want to do, but make sure you're ready to endure hate.

4. Sesshomaru

I say go little by little and see how it goes. When I first started coming out at school I first told my closest friends then branched out a bit until I eventually became comfortable enough with everything to where I just told anyone that asked. While your school might be more conservative, keep in mind that there's sometimes a chance that the more casual you are about it the more casual the person you're telling will receive it as well (as in they won't blow up about it). Good luck :slight_smile: