1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christian Youth Group...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by gleekfanatic, Mar 18, 2012.

1. gleekfanatic

gleekfanatic Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So last Thursday I went to this christian youth group at the local Christian Calvary Church, right? So I met several people there, and they were so nice. I never met some many nice people at one time. I dont know, I guess was just nervous...
    Anyway, my, um, inviter I guess you could call him, sat next to me the entire study, and introduced me to everyone there. So I'm sitting there, listening to the guy teaching that day's lesson, and I'm blank. Then at one point, D (for privacy reasons, that's all I'm giving here) asked me a question, and I forgot what he had asked because I thought about my answer so much that I almost blacked out. Then at the end of the service, during the last song, I felt something VERY profound. I don't know what it was, but it was so strong, I cried. I was literally touched. When I told D, he said it was the Holy Spirit...
    I was quiet to whole ride home. All I want to know is, are there any gay Christians out there? And if there are, how do you do it? How do you live with feeling okay enough to live as a gay man without feeling guilty about sinning. :bang:
    :icon_sad:

2. Mercy

Mercy Guest

what about a gay womens point of view ?? God is love and i know he loves me so so much he dosnt care if im gay or not

3. JRNagoya

I concur with Mercy. Search the boards either for my previous posts or any number of others. There are a lot of gay Christians out there. I've never had to reconcile being gay with being Christian. I've always seen God as the epitome of love, excluding no one, irregardless of what people may tell you. Find out what God means to you on your own terms. Do some research. Read the Bible, study some literature, listen to speakers. There is no one correct way to learn about God. Do what you feel is correct for your personal relationship with God. Don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't be gay and Christian, that God hates you, that you're going to hell, or any other asinine untrue comments. I don't know how anyone can find sin in love. Keep the faith.

4. castle walls

I'm a bi female Christian and I agree with the previous posts. Also, I recommend that you start reading the Bible. I'd start in Matthew if I were you because it is a great place for New Christians or those curious about the faith to start. I believe that real Christianity is about a personal relationship with God. It is really all about love

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you

5. Hana Solo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I am proud to be Christian and also proud to be gay. God is love. Read the Bible and find God for yourself. I had trouble reconciling being gay and Christian for a while until I discovered God for myself, not through preachers. And when I told my youth pastor, she was perfectly accepting. Don't worry about it- just be yourself and enjoy the feeling :slight_smile: people who like you and dislike you will like and dislike you for YOU, not your orientation. At least, if they're worth your time they will.

6. TruffleDude

I do not, by any means, have all of the answers for you. But what I do know is that lust is something to be avoided. Love is what you look for as a Christian.

I have heard a lot of people point to the translations from Hebrew to Greek, and Greek to (eventually) English causing some odd assumptions to be made in certain parts of the Bible.

As a Christian, it is important to look at the Torah, from a Jewish perspective, as those are the roots of your faith. Do some digging about the meaning of the passages in Hebrew, and what they meant in the context of the place, time, and people for whom they were written. Here is a resource your post inspired me to read. I am still going through it.

#6 TruffleDude, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  7. Nightmaric

Gay and Christian. I'm open about being Christian but a lot people think I'm an atheist because of my liberal beliefs. I'm not open about being gay and is taken awhile to come to terms but knowing that the bible is about loving and not hating. People who focus on a couple verse while disregarding whole books boasting the power of Gods love are what's who with Christianity.

8. TheAMan

Yay you're back! Anyway I'm a Christian and it's easy but at the same time it isn't. I know what I'm doing is wrong in God's eyes but at the same time I can't help how I feel. Trust me if I could just give all up right now I would but I can't so I just accept it. I accept it but don't embrace it. It's why I still get a little freaked out whenever I see homosexual acts and it's why I willl never marry a guy.

9. Waffles

Although I'm not fully gay myself, I truely believe that being a gay Christian is NOT WRONG.
    First off, forget what they say about the bible stating that "being gay is wrong". When someone presents me with a bible verse that says "God declared that gays are bad", then I'll consider.
    What us christians are overlooking is, in Genesis, it clearly states that WE ARE MADE IN HIS LIKENESS AND IMAGE. So first, this means that God is both a HE, and a SHE. Otherwise, there would only be males OR females. Secondly, if God made us in his likeness, then that means that God (technically speaking) has no sexual preferences.
    Next, also having to do with Genesis, after God creates humans, he saw that what he had made was VERY GOOD. God made us EXACTLY the way we are for a reason. :grin: God also loves ALL of his creation. Christian extremists claim that God hates gays. But then they're contradicting themselves because they claim that God loves EVERYONE. Which leads to the questiom: if God hates gays, then why would he have created us?

So, long story short, there is.nothing wrong with gays because God loves us all. End on story. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 18th Mar 2012 at 11:00 PM ----------

Although I'm not fully gay myself, I truely believe that being a gay Christian is NOT WRONG.
    First off, forget what they say about the bible stating that "being gay is wrong". When someone presents me with a bible verse that says "God declared that gays are bad", then I'll consider.
    What us christians are overlooking is, in Genesis, it clearly states that WE ARE MADE IN HIS LIKENESS AND IMAGE. So first, this means that God is both a HE, and a SHE. Otherwise, there would only be males OR females. Secondly, if God made us in his likeness, then that means that God (technically speaking) has no sexual preferences.
    Next, also having to do with Genesis, after God creates humans, he saw that what he had made was VERY GOOD. God made us EXACTLY the way we are for a reason. :grin: God also loves ALL of his creation. Christian extremists claim that God hates gays. But then they're contradicting themselves because they claim that God loves EVERYONE. Which leads to the questiom: if God hates gays, then why would he have created us?

So, long story short, there is.nothing wrong with gays because God loves us all. End on story. :slight_smile:

10. Katelynn

Bein gay & being a Christian arent mutually exclusive, not even close. Love is love & that is what Jesus preached - love one another, treat each other with respect & be who you are. Being gay is just one part of you, I mean, do you spend every single second of every single day feeling & thinking like a Christian? Do you spend every single second of every single day feeling & thinking like a gay person? No, you go thru your life & have times in your life when these things are strongly felt by yourself, but they dont sum up every single thing that make you you!

I struggled for a long time with being trans, gay & Catholic, until I realized that I was still the same person Ive always been & that God loves. You are most definitely not alone in feeling like this, but dont lose heart! God will always love you!

11. gleekfanatic

gleekfanatic Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, thank you everyone for the advice. well, it goes without saying that I am going again to this Thurdays meeting again, because despite how i currently feel about all of this, I'm serious about "finding Jesus and GOD". It's going to take some time for me to lose this notion of feeling weird about being a gay Christian, but I'm keeping an open mind about it.
    @ Waffles, thanks! I never saw it that way...I'm going to read the Bible tonight and do some serious thinking.
    @ TheAMan, yes I'm back! Although I can't post any more wall messages, at least for a long time. Anyway, that's sort of the reason I couldn't bring myself to go to church on Sundays and turn a deaf ear whenever someone mentions Jesus or God, because of that.
    @ cyanyst, where can I get a copy of the Torah?
    @ everyone else, once again, thanks for the advice.
    One things for sure, I will be keeping an open mind about God's love from now on. Oh, and I had forgotten to mention that after the meeting, on the way, I had told D a bit about my life, and I had told him that I'm gay, and I couldn't bring myself to look at him when I told him, but now I stop to think about it, he was very accepting. He had one thing he said that stuck in my mind, and it was this: "In God's eyes, we're all sinners. Thieves, Liars, Sexual Deviants, Adulterers, etc. Yet, he still loves us no matter what. If we believe in Him totally, then He will change in us what needs to change..."

12. Free Yourself

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Im a Christian, been going to church off and on almost my whole life. A lot of my mothers side of the family def dont agreee with me being lesbian, but like many have said God is love and he judges you by your heart. It can be hard sometimes especially with a lot of judgement. All I can say is to get a personal relationship with the Lord and talk to him.. Pray.. he'll tell you what to do!

Good luck!

13. colorful

I just made a post about this. God loves you-seriously. He made you the way you are and wouldn't change you for the world. The whole foundation of Christianity is love. In fact, the whole foundation of life is love. I could go into this whole thing about love, life and God, but I won't. I personally don't believe that God disapproves of anyone homosexual OR their acts. You don't have to feel bad about anything because God already knew you would fall in love with and show your love for a person of the same sex before you were born. That's all I have to say... just do everything any other christian does because your sexuality doesn't define you as a whole person.

14. Fiddledeedee

I'm Christian too. And I've realised that it says in the Bible that God is love. Not "God is loving", which implies it's only one aspect, one trait, of Him, but that God = love. Therefore, love = good. Gay love is just as good as straight love, and sex is an expression of love. Whilst some things in the Bible are against homosexual acts, the laws in the Old Testament were intended only for Jews and that passage in Romans isn't about homosexuality as we see/think about it today (it's more along the lines of condemning paedophilia, if I remember right).

"Gay Christian" isn't an oxymoron. It's a common thing and not contradictory or wrong. God loves all people and loves being loved by them – even the fabulous ones. :newcolor:

15. Caoimhe Fayre

I don't have the answers, I'm still healing in my relationship with God and with the Church as a whole. but it does seem that yes, you can be a good Christian and still be gay. we don't get a choice about being gay - trust me, I've spent the last 11 years trying to change my sexual orientation through one group or another, and it doesn't work. we do get a choice about religion, though... so don't let anyone push you out or tell you otherwise.

I'll be praying for you on Thursday! and I'll ask for your prayers for me tomorrow :slight_smile:

16. SkyDiver

I struggled with this one big time, as I am a Christian as well.

First of all, do not start feeling bad about yourself since so many Christians claim that homosexuality is "wrong." It will rip you apart from the inside out.

Of course I don't know anything in the grand scheme of things, but if God is truly all-knowing, then how could he punish you for something that you can't control? How could any sort of love in this world be wrong? Plus, Jesus doesn't mention homosexuality at all.

God is perfectly fine with you just as you are. Your sexuality is not a mistake; you were made in HIS likeness.

Be who you are, feel good about it, know that there's nothing wrong with it, and love God while doing all of that. :eusa_danc

I truly believe that many Christians are so, so, SO wrong in regards to homosexuality.

17. bdman

I grew up in Christian youth groups of Evangelical churches. I know exactly what you are talking about with the service and music set up to bring about an emotional response...often attributed to the Holy Spirit.

In the Christian surroundings I grew up with...being Christian also meant being raciest, bigoted, judgmental, intolerant, anti-science and an overwhelming desire to infuse right wing political beliefs on everyone else. It also convinced me that there was something wrong with me since I was suppressing the realization that I was gay. Accepting that fact meant being a sinner and going to hell. It took a long time for me to come out of that.

Sadly, accepting myself meant rejecting my faith. I know there are a few christian churches out there that don't believe the way I was taught. There are also some gay affirming churches that don't believe being gay is a sin. However, I have been too hurt to ever think I can go back to any type of Christianity. I still have to deal with the bad kind that my family prescribes to. In fact I think they are out voting for Santorum right now.

I would say that if you are thinking of getting involved, look up a gay affirming church and talk to the pastor there and let him know how you feel. You can talk about that stuff with them. I only fear that if you continue to be involved in what might be a church that is anti-gay, you might find yourself very conflicted. The worship you described can be very powerful stuff. Faith can drive people to do good, but also to do unspeakable evil.

18. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with this. I've personally been hurt too badly. I would make sure that you find a church that is open to homosexuality. Try a few churches before you decide on one church. Each church has a different feel to it.

I wish you the best of luck. Finding the right church can be a hard process.

19. DapperDan

DapperDan Guest

Almost eerie how similar your situation is to mine, sir...

Personally, I was very involved in my church, and was actually a part of a worship team for many years. They really were geared towards bringing out an emotional response, and often times I thought that it was the Holy Spirit, but when I started to question things, I realized that sometimes I could feel the same way about other songs that had nothing to do with worship; like churches had a formula going for worship songs to make you feel certain emotions and attribute it to God. Honestly I don't mean to be so cynical, but I talk about it so someone can prove me wrong, if I am...

My struggle is that my orientation goes against everything I've been taught, in regards to life and spirituality. Everyone I know has perpetuated the same judgmental beliefs and rules around me all my life up until recently, when I started to look for people outside of the circle. I've heard of other churches that are more accepting of these things, but it will take a very long time to stop feeling the deep sense of shame accompanied with my sexuality. Therefore, I'm bitter towards the church and many of the people in it for their extremely narrow views and close-mindedness, and because of how I feel like I can't find a straight answer in the bible for something deemed so abominable.

Anyway, I will say though that a church is basically just a group of people in (somewhat) agreement. If you can find an accepting group, and someone who accepts you as you are to go with, I think you may have found the key. :slight_smile: Good luck!

20. gleekfanatic

gleekfanatic Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey guys! Sorry the delay in response, so much has happened since my last post.
    First I want to say thank you for everyone who replied. There are a few points I want to make here. Basically,I now agree when you guys have said that God loves everyone. In God's eyes, we are all sinners. Prostitutes, Hypocrites, Liars, Thieves, Cheaters, Homosexuals, Divorcees, etc, are all considered sinners in God's eyes. We are no different from the next person. According to D, everyone has sinned in their lifetime. They've stolen something, lied to hide something, had sex before marriage, cheated on their gf's/bf's by looking at another with lustful thoughts, etc. All this is sin, so we are all no different from one another, and all those people out there who think that Homosexuals are sinners, they need to get real. Even those "strong" in their belief in Christ and God are sinning just by bragging about it. No one is perfect. the only one who is perfect is God, and Jesus is God made into flesh. Telling other people what to do based on the Bible, traditions aren't what being "religious" is all about. These people who do this on a daily basis are just like the Pharisees, who were not allowed a place at Jesus's table. No, Jesus and the Gospel is what it is all about. Spreading the Word, the deeds of Jesus, and his Legacy is what it's all about.
    Keep posted on more of what happened since my last post. Til then, Love one another, but love your enemies more.