1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help, NOW! Please! :[

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jordash, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Jordash

Okay so last night I went to my friends house for a sleep over, which was all fine and dandy. But when I got home I found these pink slips and apparently my older sister called the cops on my dad and he got arrested for threatening my mom, he and her were drunk. And I know my mom has cheated on my dad, and still talks to the guy...
    They both drink and get drunk, and mean, A LOT! My mom is way worse though.

So anyways, because I wasn't home, the cops are gunna pull me out of class tomorrow for questioning and IM FREAKING OUT! :tears: I don't want to get put in a foster home, which I know is a possibility. I'm really scared and I don't want to say the wrong thing... Anyone know what I should do? :tears: Please help me, I'm really scared. :tears:

2. TheAMan

First let me just say that I'm sorry that you have to deal with this. If you still want to be with your parents, then I don't think it's a good idea to tell them the whole truth. I don't think the cops will take you away frrom your parents but if they do, don't you have any relatives you can live with?

3. Trixxster

God. I'm so sorry to hear this. This is exactly the situation my mom had to face growing up. She would sometimes have to peel my Oma off the floor of the bar and take her home - at 14! It was a different time back then so she didn't get put in foster care and luckily that made her never want to get drunk so the cycle wasn't repeated with me.

As to saying the wrong thing, just tell the cops the TRUTH! Even if you think it will land you in foster care given the situation it's a better choice in the long term if you get out of such a toxic environment.

Also, is your sister 18? If not, do you have any relatives that have a better environment that would be willing to take you? I don't know how foster care works, but I don't think they'll send you there unless there is nowhere else to go and no one else to take you in.

Again, I don't know if you'll want to hear this, but if your parents are getting drunk a lot, then you should get out of that environment. My Oma still gets drunk a lot to this day and it is very scary especially for me, the grandchild. My Opa is very sick and so it means he doesn't always get the proper care he needs. All I'm saying is, stay calm, tell the cops the truth and wait and see how everything turns out.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First, if your parents are drunk all the time and there's the kind of violence you're speaking of, you might actually be better off in foster care, at least temporarily. At your age, the social services worker is going to look at what's best for you, and what's important more than anything is to be honest. If you try to minimize or lie... they'll see right through it, because they totally understand what homes with abusive, alcoholic parents are like, and if they feel like you're bullshitting, then they'll just have to make a judgement based on what they think, instead of on the truth. So tell it like it is, and don't hold back.

They won't just up and put you in foster care if that isn't really the very best option for you. And if you and your sister have a strong bond, they will work to place you together if a placement becomes necessary.

You may also want to PM BlairSW. He is our staff social worker, and his full time job is as a foster care social worker, so he is intimately familiar with the procedures, and can tell you what to expect if and when you're interviewed by a social services worker.

It's not what you want to hear, but really, the social services system is there to ensure you get the best possible support, and a good social worker will be your advocate, whether you stay in the home with your parents, or whether you are placed with a loving family that cares for you while your parents are getting help.

5. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't worry, Jordash, don't be nervous. Just answer the questions as best as you can, and as Chip said, be honest, it's better than nothing.

Everything will be okay. Try not to think about it. It'll just be some questions and that's it. (*hug*) And even better -- you miss class! :grin:

6. Waffles

Aw geez, I'm so sorry you have to go through this. :frowning2:
    All I can say is that you just honestly answer the cops' questions.
    If you're still stressed out, we're all here for ya.
    Hope everything can get better. *hug*

7. JackSplat

Out Status:
    Some people
    Very sorry to hear about your situation. I think you should tell them the truth. I know you are scared but be brave (*hug*). The guys from social services, if it actually goes so far, will assess your situation and act accordingly. At the end of the day they want to help you and do what is best for you in the long run, even though it might be difficult for you now. Things will work out, hang in there and good luck.

8. Jordash

Thank you all! :slight_smile: You lot were a great help in this stressful time.

So here what happened if any of you are interested...
    So Monday came and went and nothing happened. My case worker/cops didn't show up. But today she did. I was in biology and then an aid from the school came in, got my teacher out of the room to talk to her, and when my teacher came back I was told I had a meeting.
    I looked back at my girlfriend for support and she told me to be strong and that she loved me, which made things better.
    So anyways the aid, this lady i've never meet, and I all walked up the hallways and made our way to this room, I've never been to. (I guess its the councilling office er whatever.) So then she start talking and it was like she was through so many questions at me about my parents and their fighting and drinking, I just got over whelmed and started crying. I just barried my face in my arms and cryed for like 10 mins. Then she told me that she would be back soon and I could go back to class.
    When I got to class everyone started asking questions. I felt like i was going to start crying again, but luckily, the bell rang and I think everyone forgot about it. My girlfriend asked me what happened and, not wanting to talk about it at the time, i told her "nothing" and just went to band.

Nothing else really happened... But yeah... If you actually read this, thanks. If you'd like to comment please do so.

9. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

Sorry you had to go through this, I wish I had known earlier so I could have talked to you if needed...Your going to be okay though right? Post on my wall if you want, I mean we talk just about everyday anyways....