1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suicidal friend?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by alex97, Mar 18, 2012.

1. alex97

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sorry guys, I didnt really know where to post this.
    One of my friends, just went through a really bad break up (this is a girl). She has already had some pretty difficult times with herself lately, and recently attempted to kill herself. She overdosed on pills, told me, and so I told her parents who then took her to the hospital. Some of you guys may not think that was the right choice to betray her trust like that or whatever, but it did actually save her life, and doctors said she would not have made it without going to the emergency room.
    Anyways. After this breakup, she is once again talking about "wanting to end it all" "I cant do this anymore" etc. She called me the other night crying her eyes out, and I did everything I could. But, I'm really getting worried again. I'm trying my best to talk to her, but I just don't want her to feel like this could be her only way out.
    Advice anybody?

2. TraceElement

Honestly? It was not betraying her, it was getting her the help she needs.
    Now, in regards to her new bout of suicidal ideation, tell her parents, teacher, counselor, someone. She needs more help than you can provide. While you can offer an ear and support her, you should not be the only one helping her. She may resent you for trying to get her the help she needs, but eventually she will come around.

3. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I think you should do everything you can to be there for her. If she starts to sound unusual, particularly desperate or strangely calm and dark, I would be alarmed. I would actually go to her house and stay the night. I'm going to second Trace and say that you should tell her parents, a counselor, or something. Tell somebody else that can help her as much as or even more than you.

You're not betraying her at all. You're getting her the help she needs. If you had to choose between a dead friend or an angry friend, I think the choice is pretty clear. It's better to do too much than not enough in situations like this.

4. Mogget

You have neither the training nor the experience to help your friend as much as you want to. You can listen and by sympathetic and hug her, but you shouldn't try to help her work through her issues. That's something that requires a therapist. In your shoes, I would comfort my friend and encourage her to seek professional help. That's really all you can do, I'm afraid.

5. castle walls

I agree with the posters above. I recommend getting your friend extra help. Perhaps you could try talking her into seeing a counselor or talk to the school counselor about her. You can also try calling a suicide hotline and see if they can give you information to services in your area