1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Letting down a straight girl..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Koll, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Koll

So I have this friend.. and she's really into me (Or at least she thinks she is :dry:slight_smile:

Anyway, I got this text from a friend on the 15th..

[15/03/2012 10:57:48 PM] Karly: u really need to talk to kat n tell her u dont like her the way she likes u,, as soon as we left ur place in the car she almost started crying n saying how much in love she is with u..

Now, I know 'Kat' likes me.. I just don't feel the same. Everyones telling me to give her a chance but.. I'm pretty much gay :eusa_doh:

How.. do I let down a very emotional and depressed person without being a coward or an ass?

2. JackSplat

Out Status:
    Some people
    Come clean, tell her that you are gay.

3. sanguine

oh ive been there indeed, but this girl actually called me at 11pm then told me 2 hours later she loved me.

just tell her you want to be friends, if it is anything like my situation she will go for your best friend instead, just dont treat her any different, never give her a reason to think it will be anything different

its funny because a year later i told her i was gay and now she is my best friend, funny how things work out that way

4. greeneyes

yea, telling her you're gay is the best bet. It's the truth (always good haha), and it's also the best possible situation for her in terms of rejection (it's not that you don't like her and you're straight!). I would tell her and ask to still be friends and then give her a couple days to cool off. If she's still upset, take some space from each other for a while so she can get over it. If not, your friendship will continue as is. Sounds like a win-win.

5. Nat3

Nat3 Guest

Tell her you are gay... or just be friends.
    And if you are not ready to come out. then maybe just tell her to be friends.

6. Lebowski45

Are you out? Your profile suggests so but from what you said in the post some friends don't seem to know, though maybe I'm just not reading it right :confused: My advice is dependent upon if you are or not.

If you are quite happy for people knowing then I'm with everyone else, just tell her you're gay. Its the truth and she'll probably be comforted by the fact that you're gay as opposed to just not "liking" her.

If you aren't, I suppose you'd have to find a gentle way of letting her down. Say something like you're really flattered but you don't want to be with anyone at the moment, or something. Be sensitive, but also get across that you're not interested. Its probably best she moves on considering there's no chance of it happening. I agree its a difficult one, as long as you do it gently it'll be fine though. And don't let others try and push you into being with someone else, its your life and up to you who you go out with! :icon_bigg

7. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with everyone else, you're going to need to tell her you're gay. It won't hurt her feelings as much as "I'm straight and I dont like you," it'll just let her know that you can't quite go out with her and be happy. A friend of mine has a crush on me and I let him know I was lesbian (leaving out the biromantic part, though, I didn't really like him :icon_redf ) and we're still friends today. :3

But if you're not out and don't want to be out yet, I suggest using the excuse, "Sorry, I'm not interested in dating anyone right now," it works a lot of the time and again doesn't really hurt the person's feelings. It doesn't damage the friendship either -- so it's a win-win situation.

And don't worry, she'll eventually understand you don't want to go out with her -- no matter what approach you take -- and move on. :3

#7 Maxis, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012