1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overanalyzing others and Social Anxiety

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by person54, Mar 20, 2012.

1. person54

A couple hours ago a friend that I met about a month ago text me asking how I have been this past week, even though we hung out on Saturday. I relplied and haven't heard back and have overanalysed the heck out of my reply and felt really anxiouss.

I wrote I've been awesome! I found out I did really well on some tests. How has your week been?

I just thought crap did I seem concieted or arrogant with the thing about the tests, I didn't mean to be it just makes me happy.

I'm feeling better now realising there's lots of logical reasons that have nothing to do with me for why she hasn't responded. But does anyone else get super anxious like this when interacting with others? What ways do you try to cope with it?

2. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Like you said "Couple of hours" Not days, she probably just doing something or hasn't got her phone with her, does she work?

3. insidehappy

your response is fine. nothing to read into to. stop overanalyzing. hard to do when you like someone or want to make a good impression but you're fine. she's busy.

4. person54

yeahh I feel really stupid she was just in a class. I do kinda like her but I've gotta just let myself be me and not worry about these kinds of things.

5. insidehappy

yep, also use this as a lesson. you are putting so much energy into someone responding. that sounds desperate. i have been there. we all have. but if they respond, great. if they dont who cares. move on. there are other people to date and meet. you have to think like this.

6. colorful

I have issues with this too... Its okay follow the advice of the previous posters and just try to relax about it. If people judge you its on them. "People who mind don't matter and people who matter don't mind." I hope that quote is relevant in this circumstance. Ha.

Also, as you have found, people are just busy sometimes. Haha.

7. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

The way I cope with these kinds of things is to just switch places, put myself in their shoes. I ask myself, if I asked someone how they've been this past week, would I consider them conceited or arrogant if they were excited about doing really well on some test? Of course not; hell, I'd be excited for them, too. Then the other person probably wouldn't consider me arrogant for saying the same thing.

8. SkyDiver

I'm all too familiar with this!

As some of the other posters have suggested, just put yourself into his shoes for a while. Some people just don't respond right away, and it's something that we have to get used to in the text messaging world.

I wouldn't even give it a worry if it's only been a couple of hours. If it's been days, just send him another text saying "Hey, how are you doing?" or something simple like that to get another conversation going.

The main thing however is to not freak out, it only makes things much, much worse.