1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overwhelmed and freaking out. Help?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by girlboyari, Mar 20, 2012.

1. girlboyari

girlboyari Guest

So this might sound all jumbled up and confusing, because my mind is all over the place right now and I've had a pretty rough day. The main reason why is because I swore to myself that I'd come out to my gay straight alliance club today, and I was sure it would happen, but then I chickened out and it didn't happen. The main reason is because of my sister, who also goes there. She'd been going since before I started going, and ever since I started coming, she's been extremely hostile towards me while the meetings are going on and always somehow finds a way to ruin it for me. She makes me feel so extremely nervous and uncomfortable and unaccepted in a community that's supposed to be loving and accepting towards people like me. All of the other people there are extremely nice and totally trustworthy, including my MtF girlfriend, but my sister is so rude and makes me so uncomfortable. It's not that the other people there don't do anything about it, I just think that they don't notice it. I'm pretty sure my sister's girlfriend notices, but likes my sister too much to do anything about it. She insults me, too. I guess I just need advice as to what to do. I want to keep going there, because it's nice to be surrounded by a loving family of supporters, but not if my sister is going to continually make me feel unloved and unaccepted. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you. I hope this doesn't make me seem like an obnoxious complainer. I just don't know what to do....

2. CountryGirl94

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This is a really tough situation to be in. Personally, the first thing I would do is confront my sister about why she's acting the way she is.
    If you can't get your sister to talk to you about it, ask her girlfriend for some help. If that doesn't work. . . . you can always find another gay/straight alliance
    to attend. If its possible in the area you are in. That's my personal opinion though. Good luck sweety!

3. SkyDiver

Have you talked with your sister about how she makes you feel?

Also, do you know why she's acting that way?

Talk it out with her, and you just might settle some differences. :thumbsup:

4. girlboyari

girlboyari Guest

I've tried talking with my sister, she just gets angry and shuts herself in her room. The reason she's probably feeling this way is because she's best friends with my girlfriend, and gets jealous really easily. GSA, before I was going, was a time for her and my girlfriend, she thought. And now that I've started going (because I want to be surrounded by people like me, not to make my sister jealous), obviously my girlfriend is paying more attention to me, and even though my sister has her own girlfriend, she's extremely jealous and feels like I'm stealing her away from my sister. I can understand that, but I'm not going to leave GSA just because my sister has some jealousy issues. I like spending time with my girlfriend and with other LGBT people.

5. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know its tough but I think perhaps if you can just ignore her then over time she will stop and give up, you have tried talking to her, she doesnt want to engage in conversation about it, so I would just continue to go, be friendly to her, ignore her insults and go about making friends with all the other nice people there.

If she is trying to prevent you from going or gain attention from it then ignoring will be the best action.

6. girlboyari

girlboyari Guest

So get this. My sister's girlfriend actually called me, and apologized for herself and my sister. It was kind of interesting. She's pretty nice, though, and even joked about my sister with me. She also said that she really wants me to come back to GSA next week, and she sounded really sincere, so I said I would. So it looks like everything is okay now :slight_smile:

7. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

Aw, that is very good.