1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

She wants me to spend the night...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by colorful, Mar 20, 2012.

1. colorful

So my friend and I have been planning to do something this weekend. She just asked if I wanted to spend the night. The issue is that I sort of have a crush on her (and she knows it) and I'm not sure actually want to spend the night by myself with her... Well I do want to I'm just not sure if it's the best idea. Also, if there aren't other people there I'm not sure my mom will even let me go because I just came out to my mom and told her I liked this girl... I dunno. I mean it would be sort of awkward if she was like, "well do you want to spend the night?" and then I was like "well who else is coming." ...

What should I do?

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Its a tough one, is this girl straight, bi or curious? How did she react when she found out you liked her?

3. insidehappy

you can spend the night if you want to but only spend the night as friends and not hoping anything is going to happen. also, she doesnt know you like her and if she is straight, why toture yourself. personally we all want alone time with our crushes but if the crush is straight is that really going to help us or will it make us like them even more while all the while knowing its not going to happen?

she seems to liek you as a friend. if you can just be friends with her maybe try and do that. also if u decide to come out to her its always great to come out to a close friend so start building a friendship and see what happens.

4. colorful

I don't know she's so hard for me to read! To me it seems like she flirts with me, but I dunno.

I had gone with the movies with her and some friends and I didn't want people to think things so when she hugged me I just kept shrugging her off (even though that probably made it more obvious). All of a sudden she just walked outside and then I felt like a terrible person so I texted her and I was like I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings (etc. I like you. I technically came out to her though I didn't actually say "I'm a lesbian" etc.)

Her: It's okay the crowd was getting to me. I was worried about you. I'm sorry for making you confused.

Me: Haha. No it's ok

Her: If you ever need someone to talk to or just a sound board I'm here.

Me: Haha. Thanks. :slight_smile: I knew you would be supportive.

Her: Always will be when it comes to you

Me: Well thanks. :slight_smile: I'll always be there for you too.

Her: I know you are nice like that

Me: Haha. Well I'm glad you are still going to talk to me even if I made your life awkward. Lol

Her: My life is always awkward and I'm usually the person that causes it though. Thanks for being honest and up front wiht me. Besides people like you are hard to find, not going to give that up.

Me: I'm glad.

Anyway...

She once mentioned how one of her guy friends asked if she would be his lesbian best friend. She also said I like what I like and I know who to talk about it around... (not sure what that means). Also, she wears a GSA bracelt and one of her inspirations on facebook is Ellen.

5. Free Yourself

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I say go... Because lets say she isnt interested in you... You don't want to lose the friendship because of a crush. Plus, there's always the chance she is interested, either way you'll most likely get your answer when you stay the night! Don't push things though, unless you're getting the vibe she wants you too. Just don't be nervous! You don't want to offend her on any way. I say take the chance, that's what life's all about right?! :slight_smile:

6. colorful

Soo the main issue is sort of the fact that I'm not sure my mom will be cool with me spending the night because she knows I have a crush on this girl...

7. Free Yourself

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah my mom won't let me spend the night with any girl that I'm with or she knows I like either...

8. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you're answering your own question.

If you don't feel 100% good about this, then don't do it. If you're out to her and she knows you like her, then you already have your answer if you're being invited to spend the night. Plus, there's the issue of your mom - if something happens with this girl and you end up dating, you might not want this to be your mom's first impression of this person.

If you really want further confirmation, tell her you want to go over but your mom won't let you because she's aware of the situation. This will give her a chance to voice how she feels about it, and you. And if she actually likes you, missing one sleepover won't make any difference. :slight_smile:

EDIT: I was assuming that your mom was cool with you being gay, and just didn't want you to be in that position. If that's not the case, of course, then it's a different story. Just wanted to make sure here.

9. colorful

She says she's cool with it, but I just told her yesterday and it might be a little difficult for her to handle even if I have no alterior motives or whatever.
    I told my friend earlier in the week that I would spend the night so how on earth am I supposed to get out of it. I mean I just really wish I knew that there would be other people there... would it be completely awkward if I was just like "so who else is gonna be at this little movie marathon?""

#9 colorful, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  10. Maialuna

As awkward as this would be, I might ask your friend about it to... clarify things? Then I would ask your mom and reassure her that it's just a friend thing and she doesn't have interest in girls IF that's the case. I mean, you obviously could lie either way, but don't. Because that would be bad.

If I were you, though, I might just be worried that your feelings, or the fact that your mom knows your feelings towards her, might get in the way of your friendship. And if things progressed to the point where that really was a problem I would talk to your mom about it and hopefully she would be understanding.

11. colorful

So lets say I do say "so who else is going to be at this movie marathon" and she says no one else. Orrr just doesn't respond...

12. colorful

I'm sorry I'm posting like 4million times, but I am just freakingg out. Turns out there is not going to be others there. She said she is going to make lasana or whatever. I just really don't want to go unless there are other people there. Seriously you guys how do I get out of this?! Should I get out of this?

13. SkyDiver

What's the worst that could happen?
    What's the best that could happen?

14. Maialuna

If you're getting this nervous about it, you probably should get out of it. You don't seem like you really want to, like it would be more stressful than fun. If that's a wrong impression I'm getting, then you should ask your mom to go. But stress isn't good for friendships or sleepovers or relationships. If you don't want to go or aren't allowed to go, I would just tell her that you can't make it this time or that your mother doesn't want you to, and try to find another time when you'll be less worried.

15. secretguyX

Honestly, I think you should go. If she thinks of you as just a friend, it will just be as normal as any other sleepover. If she likes you as more, well you like her back, so what's the problem with that? A lot of times we over think things that are pretty simple. Tell your mom that you're just friends, and that she's straight, because as far as you know she is. I don't see why she'd feel uncomfortable about you having a sleepover with a friend.

16. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you should go but expect nothing more than watching movies with a good friend. If she does like you then that would be an added bonus right?
    However if you really dont want to go then cant you just tell her your Mum wont let you go because you recently came out to her or something?

What are you scared is going to happen?

17. greeneyes

I would get out of it. People cancel all the time. I would just be honest, no beating around the bush. You can say that you don't feel comfortable yet sleeping over at a girl's home after just coming out, especially since she apparently knows you have a crush on her. Even if she doesn't know, saying you don't feel comfortable is totally fine.

Also, bi-curious is a mess. One of my friends who is 150% straight also just makes these weird remarks with me too. It's like they're just imagining what it would be like and somewhat messing with you for their own amusement, like it's an unexplored fantasy. Usually nothing comes out of it except pain on your end.

So yeah, as others said above, no shame in getting out of it.

18. Free Yourself

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I still say go for it!!! You're over thinking it too much

19. colorful

I cancelled. Just to let you guys know...

20. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thats cool if she really likes you there will be more opportunities.