1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I Tell My Mom?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by secretguyX, Mar 20, 2012.

1. secretguyX

I'm not really sure if I should tell my Mom I'm gay. It's not obvious, at least I don't think it is. Sometimes she mentions my future and something about my future husband, and I just want to say, "Mom, i'm frigging gay." Good think I can restrain myself. Anyways, she isn't very homophobic, but she doesn't seem exactly supportive either. Like, she watches Ellen, and anyone being gay doesn't seem to bother her that much, like she doesn't think they should be judged. But she also said she wouldn't want to see my cousin (he's gay) and someone he was dating kissing, although she wants him to find someone. She also told me she thought my brother was gay last year (he's not as far as I know) and it'd be okay, she just wouldn't like that his life would be harder.

I know she'll love me no matter what. In fact, when me and my brother were younger she asked if either of us ever felt we were born in the wrong bodies (transgender) just to make sure that were happy. I just feel that she may think I'm too young to know or something. And she may feel awkward when I'm around girls too. She does mention guys sometimes around me, like celebrities that most girls my age love, and I'm just like, "Oh yeah, he's cute." But I really want to tell her, and get it off my chest. She has been saying I've been more secretive or something lately, so I don't know if she suspects that I'm hiding something from her.

And if I do tell her, I don't know what to say and how to do so.

2. Cloudbreaker

Your mom sounds like she is an extremely open person who would accept you for who you are. My guess is that when you are ready to tell her, she will be ready to hear it. And remember that when you do tell her, you don't have to jump right to "I'm gay!" You can ease into it by confiding in her that you are feeling attraction toward the same gender and build up through conversation to the final verdict. Help her to learn about yourself what you already know. At the very least, it's an option. Most importantly though, do what feels right for you.

3. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know how you feel. My mom is kind of the same way. She loves Ellen and doesn't mind gay characters in TV shows. She and my dad both have said a long time ago that they don't mind gay people. They think people should do whatever makes them happy. But my mom is also religious and doesn't exactly support gay marriage. At least your mom doesn't have the religious issue.

I think most likely that your mom should be fine with it. She would mostly be concerned with your well-being. If you feel you really want to get it off your chest, then I support you coming out to her. But you are also very young and don't have to do it right now if you're not quite comfortable yet. Maybe gauge the situation a little more first. Mention other gay topics or people and see how she reacts.

I'm scared to tell my mom, too. I'm 19 and don't know if I'll ever find the courage. I wish you the best of luck!

4. greeneyes

Coming out to your mom is always hard no matter what. But as stated above, it sounds like it will be a pretty good situation/result. I would say come out when you're ready. If that's now, great.