1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I Just Move?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by gayaaron777, Mar 20, 2012.

1. gayaaron777

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So i wanna come out to my family but my mom has a heart condition and i don't want the shock to trigger anything i don't know what to do. I feel like it would be easier if i moved away and started my "out life" somewhere that it wouldn't have to be judged by family or would affect them in any way. I am not depressed but just feel like something is missing in my life and i really want to have someone to love. Please help me out:slight_smile:

2. Chandra

Hi, and welcome.

Depending on age and circumstances, some people do find it easier to come out and start living their "real" lives once they move away from their family. If you think that your family would make your life miserable / difficult, and if you have no other compelling reasons to stay, that might be something to consider. On the other hand, sometimes people's family members surprise them, and are more accepting than they expect them to be. Do you have good reason to think your family will judge you harshly?

I'm sorry to hear that your mom has a delicate health condition. That must be rough. I can understand why you might want to avoid doing anything to upset her. However, keep in mind that you also have to live your life - I don't know what her condition is or what the outlook is, but if she lives for many more years with this condition, are you going to be okay with remaining closeted that whole time? There is a certain balance that needs to be struck between considering your mom's health issues, and considering your own mental health.

3. greeneyes

maybe talk with another family member about it?

4. manoverboard09

I don't think moving away and starting over will fix anything.. that might just hurt your Mom more than telling her anything. Heck, moving away MIGHT make you depressed.

Is there not anyone in your family you can talk to? Like, maybe a sibling or cousin around the same age as you?

5. gayaaron777

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you for all your responses it means alot to me to know there is support out there. I dont really have anyone to talk to but there is a support group for teens and young adults who are coming out but im not sure how i would fit in. I love my family so much but being able to love and love myself would be great, its tearing me apart inside. I have some lesbian friends that i feel like would be supportive but I've denied it so long i dont know how i would retract the fact that I've said im straight so much.