1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mood disorders

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Zaio, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Not sure if this should be in this forum or health and medical, but I think this one so here goes...

Does anyone else have any mood disorders such as bi-polar? My sister and I take after my father and she has such disorders that affect her moods, we are very very similar and I believe I also have them, but strangely my father does not have any. I'm pretty sure I have it as I get very depressed for no reason, suddenly go from happy to incredibly sad for no reason etc.

Anyway, do any of you out there get a very big high randomly? I dated this guy for about 3 days then he got me the most drunk I've ever been in my life, long story short we did some sexual things, (no anal) and I got dumped 2 days after, and obviously this was soul crushing for me as I thought he really liked me and I was in love with him. Anyway he keeps calling me, and generally doing things that should piss me off and make me cry but... I'm SO happy now... I can't explain it, I'm literally the happiest I've been in years for no reason at all. So I'm just casually playing Just Dance 3 on xbox kinetc at 11:40pm so incredibly happy, not caring about anything in the world feeling like nothing could ever get me down. (I haven't been drinking either incase any of you ask about that)

Does anyone else get like this? Then while you're like this you get so happy from doing such little things (like in my case dancing)

2. DegrassiLover10

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have depression and anxiety.

3. Hana Solo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Depression isn't a big problem anymore for me though it was for a few years. Now I have really really bad anxiety and am having panic attacks every other day over absolutely nothing. Learning to deal with them though- exercise works wonders on my anxiety.

4. SkyDiver

I totally get like this.

I'm definately not bipolar but I have massive, massive mood swings that sometimes I feel I can just not even bear. One minute I'll be dancing around my house singing to Lady Gaga at the top of my lungs, feeling like the top of the world, and the next (triggered by any rather undesirable event, small or large), I'll be lying in my bed crying my eyes out and having major anxiety attacks.

I've heard that people with bipolar disorder have their moods last for days, sometimes even weeks. I can't even imagine!

5. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have been dealing with depression for almost four years now, and all of its effects has caused me many other problems as well. My depression made me isolate myself, and my isolation made me even more depressed. I'm naturally shy to begin with, so the depression and isolation has given me social anxiety and heightened anxiety in general. And having the anxiety makes me want to stay even more isolated. All of these cycles, and many more, just keep going around and around.

I have become extremely irritable, impatient, and short-tempered. I am quick to anger and slow to calm. I used to be so poised and have such a stoic composure. But all my stress and anxiety and sadness has changed my normal disposition. Sometimes I feel like I'm bipolar, too, though I'm not actually. I get fits of anger and rage, and my heart feels like it's going to explode. Other times, I get extremely excited over something simple, and I feel so happy that I'm nearly jumping up and down. Then, if something happens to "ruin" that feeling, I get extremely emotional and will start crying and feel extremely depressed for a while. Then I get into this pensive state where I think about everything that's gone wrong in my life, everything that's bothering me now, and how everything is going to be so bleak in the future.

So yeah, I get how you feel. Maybe I'm even more extreme.

6. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Yeah I understand what you mean, sometimes I feel as though it's worth having bi-polar if I get these happy mood swings, because they are just so strong and so... Happy. Yeah my mood swings last days, only had a few that last weeks, most of the time it's anger or depression though so... Not too beneficial to say the least.

Sorry to everyone else who has posted about depression/anxiety, this post was mainly aimed towards those who also get happy mood swings but my thoughts go out to you too, hugs (*hug*)

7. Nero

my hapiness usually depends on my succes like once i got a D on a test and i didnt talk to anyone for 3 days then i got a B on a science quiz and was soo happy agian

8. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Oh yes I know what you mean here, I get like that over grades sometimes too.

Once I got a C (pretty low for me) and I would basically swear at anyone who so much as said hello to me, then when I get an A I'll be buzzing all over the place like I've just had 10 red bulls.

9. Free Yourself

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get what you're saying. I'm extremely bi-polar, I was officially diagnosed with it 5 years ago. I've had signs of it all my life. Both my parents are diagnosed bi-polar as well. With bi-polar comes clinical depression, manic depression, and manic outbreaks. I also have critical anxiety, and PTSD. I take medications though, but that doesn't "fix" you. It just makes the roller coaster just a tad bit severe. Although, I still have extreme, sudden mood changes but just less often. It's really hard to cope and live with. One of my biggest pet peeves are when people say "well everyone's bi-polar" actually no, it's a chemical imbalance in the brain, not everyone has it. Sorry, that was a venting moment. Lol

10. greeneyes

Yes. Having highs and lows is a form of bipolar (I believe it's bipolar 2). I would recommend seeing a psychiatrist about it, since we on EC have no means of diagnosing you. Also there is some significance to having another family member with it, though it doesn't have to be everyone. But go see someone about it!

11. Jon56

Definitely sounds like you are having a possible manic episode...just be careful and try to stay level headed. People are prone to do things they wouldn't usually do when having them, from sleeping around to shopping sprees depending on the severity of the episode.

12. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Yeah I really agree with that... And when people say things like "Oh well, everyone has their ups and downs" or "You're probably just a bit moody from puberty" which I don't even respond to anymore because it takes forever to make one person realise that in actual fact they are wrong, and I just can't be bothered to waste my time explaining it to people anymore.

---------- Post added 22nd Mar 2012 at 01:56 PM ----------

Is there really a need to see someone? I don't think it's that bad that it is interfering with my life, I still do day to day things with ease, my sister said hers was also like that at my age but that it started to get horrendous in her early 20s.

Ahh unfortunately I do that sometimes, make irrational decisions in the spur of the moment, or in the case the mood. But yeah I will try to remember what you have said, as I suppose people could easily take advantage of my mood swings, as my ex did :/

13. greeneyes

Yes, it's good to see someone. It's not necessarily about interfering with you're life now - you can choose to stick with a therapist, go on meds, drop the therapist, not go on meds, whatever. It's good for you to know what exactly is the situation. Also you want to be preventative before anything gets bad. I really urge you to do so and get proper advice from a health care professional.

14. momluvsu

Having lived with a bi-polar partner for many years I offer this advice: Research the disorder as thoroughly as you can. There are so many aspects of it-fast cycling or not for instance. Left untreated it can play havoc with your life. Know what you're dealing with so you can handle your specifics in the best possible way. Good luck to you.

15. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Ok thanks guys :slight_smile:

16. Sayu

I have OCD and some pretty bad phobias.

17. NoName114

NoName114 Guest

I think I am bipolar, for two years I have had this "mood" (I cannot explain it, it is not anxeity) early into the "mood" It was almost gone but never quite and it gets worse now and the only thing that dims it is my bf. I simply think I am crazy. the "mood" has driven me to cut and starve myself along with nonending suicduial thoughts and jealousy towards people in general and I have become a social hermit. I am normally a very very nice person but nonstop feeling like this has made somewhat hostile to people as a whole. I have had several "breakdowns" and my mood and taste with music has become more dark and I have taken to songs violent and madding by nature "Run like hell for example" and I have spent many nights simply crying or sometimes I go crazy and break something or I go OCD and clean my room up just to mess it up. I sometimes cry over nothing and sometimes I feel nothing. on a good day I feel nothing

#17 NoName114, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  18. PianoNate

I just wanted to point out as well, that there are different kinds of bipolar disorder.

There is bipolar I - which is Charlie Sheen ... extreme example. Extreme hypermanic episodes with extreme depressive episodes.

There is also bipolar II -- typified by hypomanic episodes (which are upswings, but not as extremely manic as bipolar I) and depressive episodes. These can last anywhere from hours, to days, to weeks or months.

Check out the wiki's on it, because they're extremely informative. And this is something completely treatable with medication! Get in to see a medical psychologist. Also, these symptoms start showing up in adolescence and can get progressively worse.

Hope it helps, and we're here to support you! when you're manic AND when you're depressed.

19. NoName114

NoName114 Guest

I've had four sucide attempts that have somehow failed, but what do you think? I also want to scream for help while refusing it at the same time, I do have a family history of ectreme mood swings but neither of my parents have had it bad. Nothing makes me feel any trace of happiness but my bf

#19 NoName114, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  20. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

I am the same way, when I need help I almost never ask...like right now I want to ask someone in my family for help. (I have for a while.) But I can not seem to bring myself to doing it for whatever reason....I have bad mood swings now and then, but hey, that's probably PMS or something....