1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christian Parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DegrassiLover10, Mar 21, 2012.

1. DegrassiLover10

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How to come out to my Christian parents? They think everything is evil about homosexuality and being transgender. I would really love to come out to them but I don't know how. Also I go to a Christian school and I only have one friend who understands what I'm going through there. She's lesbian herself.

2. Hana Solo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Usually that attitude is in relation to 'I don't have to deal with it so its fine to hate it'. When confronted with it head on they tend to change their minds. My parents are Christian, as am I, and Dad said he already knew and Mum is fine with it as long as I don't shove it in her face. She asks questions sometimes, I answer, and I can talk about the future (and girls) with her too.

Good indicator about how they might react: do they know your friend is a lesbian? If so how did they react?

Best of luck and tell us how it goes :slight_smile:

3. DegrassiLover10

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've told my mom she is but she didn't believe me. -.- I've also told her I am a guy, well not outright, but she just told me God made me a beautiful girl then went on to some Bible versus about God and stuff like that.

4. Hana Solo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Don't blame her for returning to the Bible- its her foundation, whether you believe or not. She probably thought she was helping you. As a transgender this gets a little more complicated. Try breaking the bi news first, I think. If they take that well use your judgement on the trans bit. And give them time to adjust when/if you do tell them. Don't expect them to start using male pronouns instantly. My girlfriend is trans (still male biologically) and both Mum and Dad know, but Mum doesn't mention it. Dad will talk about it but we all refer to her as a him so that we don't accidently out her. I even try to think of her as a him so I don't slip up. When she can finally be herself in a new city I'll be slipping up a lot lol.

My point being, its a bit of an elephant in the room sometimes. Give them a chance to be ready to talk about the elephant.

5. DegrassiLover10

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah my mom thought the whole trans thing just meant I was lesbian. Haha I was like no mom. -.-

6. Hana Solo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Think of it this way: far as she's concerned she's raised a daughter for 16 years. It'll take some time for her to get used to having a son.