1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mini-coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by PianoNate, Mar 22, 2012.

1. PianoNate

Please don't laugh at my pitiful baby steps ... but I'm trying to congratulate myself and be proud of a first step.

Today I told my **insert dramatic drum-roll here** ..... naturopath/accupuncturist that I'm gay. Which was hysterical because he said he's known for a long time ... I had kind of figured due to some of the hints he had dropped here and there when talking about deep emotional stuff.

In any case, the reason this is a big deal for me is because this doctor is actually IN my circle of friends. My wife sees him, my mom and sister see him ... many of my Witness friends go to him as well. And he's an exTREMEly left wing nutter :grin: a la Santorum at times. Which makes it totally how surprisingly accepting he was of the whole thing. You can tell he really "gets it" that it's something inside, not changeable, and that you can't repress it out of existence.

He also didn't dismiss out of hand the possibility of me needing to live gay (I really don't know how to talk about this without saying something offensive about a "gay lifestyle", but you know what I mean.) He said how important my mental and emotional health was to him and that crucial to my being happy was accepting who I was ... all parts of who I am, including my homosexuality. :eek: <<< this was the face of shock I made when he said that .... deacon that he is in some ultra-conservative fundamentalist church. He said, this isn't just going to go away. **relieved sigh here** He also applied a mild amount of pressure on me to move forward, because being stuck where I am is helping no one -- not my family or me.

Now I need to be talked off the ledge before I confess my sins to everyone I know and end up on the street!

2. Myturn

I am proud of you buddy, now get back off the ledge!! You will know when the time is right to shout it from the mountain. Enjoy the moment and the feeling that you are not really alone. There are a lot of people that care.

3. PianoNate

ooooo, I'm totally gonna change my Out Status! hahahaha

4. TriCube

Hey man, congrats! Gotta start somewhere, right? Glad he gave a good response!

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats!! Everybody has got to start somewhere right??

6. greeneyes

Congrats! Your acupuncturist is very meta in a good way =) Baby steps are the best =)

Also FYI Santorum is a right wing nutter, not a left wing nutter =)

7. PianoNate

oh yeah, I can never tell my left from my right! dumb publik edyukashun! :badgrin:

8. Myturn

Yes, Santorum makes John Wayne look like a commie!! We all knew what you were saying though.

9. greeneyes

HAHAHA true true =)

10. PianoNate

ole' Rick was actually in my town yesterday ... and Mitt's gonna be around tomorrow ... anybody up for some glitterbombing? rofl

11. colorful

Congrats!

Just saying there is an interview with Tegan and Sara where Sara (I think) points in the wrong direction and Tegan calls her out and she's like Oh it's because I'm gay. I was just too busy thinking about being gay to learn my lefts and rights. Haha. Look it up. :slight_smile:

12. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ That's cute, Tegan and Sara are kind of awesome.

Congrats PianoNate, enjoy the feeling! *pushes off ledge* No, just kidding. JUST KIDDING! Get back here! :slight_smile:

13. JRNagoya

Just adding my own congratulations to the list. Hopefully you weren't shaking as bad as I was when I came out to my first person. That might not go over so well when you're looking like a hedgehog.