1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I do believe I'm a transguy, but don't know where to go for therapy.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by WydenEmmie, Mar 22, 2012.

1. WydenEmmie

Out Status:
    A few people
    So, if any of you remember, I've been struggling to find my gender identity for a while now. I've come to realize that I'd be most comfortable as a guy. I've found myself longing to to have a deeper voice and be able to walk around without a shirt and such. (I'm not even happy or comfortable when I can see my breasts, honestly.)

However, I'm in the U.S. (PA), I'm a minor, and the internet throws around way too much information for me to find something that's actually helpful.

I'd like to be able to start going to therapy (preferably a therapist with a sliding fee scale, since I doubt anyone is free), but I can't find anyone near where I live. The closet ones I've found are at least an hour away (which isn't bad, but gas is expensive).

But, I was wondering if anyone had some sites dealing with transgenders in the U.S.A. (specifically PA). I'd like to be able to research the age restrictions, the requirements, etc. for hormone therapy (though I need to see a therapist first).

So, any sites, info, or recommendations would be really appreciated.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

2. Jim1454

I'm afraid I can't help you myself. But I'm wondering if you've discussed this with your parents? And then with your parents and your family doctor? This isn't a path that you're going to be able to go down on your own - at the age of 14. Your parents are going to have to be invovled - and when they are - perhaps they can help with the search for suitable therapists. They'll know whether or not their work plans cover such counselling - and therefore cost may not be an issue.

So where are you on all that?

3. WydenEmmie

Out Status:
    A few people
    Sorry for not replying, I've been busy. I have talked to my mother before and again recently. She said she wants to wait until over the summer. So, I guess that'll have to do. I was just wondering if anyone in the US knew of any respectable therapists in PA. Thanks for replying!

4. DegrassiLover10

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know a regular therapist in Elizabethton but they aren't "transgender" therapists, just normal ones. -

5. pinkclare

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know anything local to PA because I'm on the other side of the country, but I do know of a couple very reputable organizations that work with transgender youth and have a national reach. They will probably be able to help you a lot through internet and phone communication and may also have some local contacts for you. Check out their websites:

TransActive (Portland, OR)
    Gender Spectrum (Bay Area, CA)

Hope this helps!

6. WydenEmmie

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for replying anyway, DegrassiLover10!

Thanks, fabuloustodd, I'll check them out!

:slight_smile: