1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I told her at last

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kylegf2011, Mar 23, 2012.

1. kylegf2011

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    After alot of trying I finally did it :eusa_danc I told my friend Im gay. I coulnt actually say it, so I took out my cell phone and wrote it there and gave it to her. She saw it and was quite surprised. She said "really??" and I nodded. So she just asked me how I knew, and why I had decided to tell her now, if I was sure about it. She said I didnt look gay, but that I did like "gay music" and that I was too nice to girls, lol. But then she asked me if I really imagined myself kissing another guy, and I said I did, but I felt really weird that I was talking about it with her. I imagine myself with a guy, but now it felt weird saying it to her. She also asked me how long had I known, and if it was because some girl had broken my heart or something, I told her I just liked guys.

Then she asked me about a girl I had said I liked before. I told her I could recognize beauty in girls, but I didnt really liked them like that. But then she started saying that I had to be bi, maybe with a preference for guys, but bi. But she took it really well, she said it was ok, and there was nothing wrong with it.

I feel good about having told her, she said my secret was safe with her. Its just every time I remember showing the text msg to her with the words "Im gay" makes me feel weird, I dont know how to explain what I feel, its not bad, but its not great, its weird. I dont regret it, but then I think, I told her, and then what? Maybe she´ll just forget about it, and its going to be just as it was before, as if I hadnt told her....

2. secretguyX

That's great, congrats! :eusa_clap I actually came out to one of my friends the same way, typing it on my phone and showing to her, cause I couldn't say it then. And it did feel weird at first. I think it's just because you're used to keeping it a secret and someone knowing is just a lot different. But anyways, congrats again! (!)

3. TruffleDude

That's pretty much par for the course my friend. I think in some ways you start to get used to these feelings after a few coming out's, and they don't affect you as much.

If I had to guess, not too much is going to change, and most of your worries are just worries.

I think that you will even start feeling better about yourself as you come to surround yourself with others that accept you for you, and don't expect you to change.

4. colorful

Congrats! I don't think the way your feeling is anything to worry about. I feel the same way. And I definately get the whole feeling awkward talking about why you think you are gay. My mom and my counselor both asked me and I was just like... um? Ha. You will get used to it, those around you will get used to it and it won't even be a big deal anymore. :slight_smile:

5. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

The weird feeling will eventually go away once you get more used to it.
    Congratulations, that is a really big step, and I agree saying the word "gay" was always the hardest. Dont let her reaction let you down, even though it sounded pretty positive, it sounds like what she said kind of effected you also. People, especially your age, are going to be a little ignorant. Not always in a bad way, they just dont know better.

I hope you good, its always nice to have that little boost of confidence when you come out.

6. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats on coming out! I felt weird thinking about, and still do, my first coming out. And even just the thought of doing it again. I suppose it's simply because it's kind of awkward to have to tell people your sexuality, which is a very personal thing. But you did it, and it sounds like you have a good friend. So good job, you deserve a hug for that. (*hug*)

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Kyle, congrats on taking that first, huge step! It always takes tremendous courage to tell the first person in real life, and it always feels weird, so you're very normal.

I've heard people describe it as suddenly feeling completely naked in front of your friend (or parents, or whomever) because, in a way... you are. You're stripping off the "covering" that is protecting the real you, so the first time you do that, it feels very awkward and strange.

But there's also a great sense of freedom from not having to guard your secret!

And... she isn't going to just forget, but I'm sure she'll be fine with you as her new gay BFF :slight_smile:

8. kylegf2011

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    thx to all for your responses! it really makes me feel that Im not alone. Im really lucky to have found this site :slight_smile:

9. DegrassiLover10

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Way to go! I'm way to nervous to tell anyone. But I'm so happy you did. :grin:

10. Ianthe

Congratulations! Do you think your friend likes you? That could be why she's pushing for you to be bi. It would be a good idea to make sure she knows you aren't.

11. GayJay

Congrats. everything just feels so much easier after you've told that first person, right?