1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Underage drinking

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Zaio, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Hi EC.

I am 15 and as I type this drunk :icon_redf

I haven't had the courage to post this up until now and I won't be able to when sober so here goes.

I started drinking maybe 4 months ago or so, when I turned 15 and I have been doing it sometimes weekly, usually multiple times a month and lately I have begun to realise that when sober at my computer I keep thinking "god I really want some vodka" or just craving the taste of it, which is very strange because I absolutely HATE the taste of it, I only really do vodka cause it works fast.

Anyway is there a way to brake this? It's not like my grades have gone down, everything is as normal, infact if anything it is helping because my mood swings from something like bi-polar, however I believe alcohol can affect sex chemicals and as a teenager I would like to cut this off completely until I have arrived out the other side of puberty.

It has gotten pretty bad lately, like lately I have been getting £15 bottles of vodka and drinking it all myself within a week, and have been getting multiple amounts per month :icon_redf

Any help and advice appriciated.

2. secretguyX

That's really bad. I think you should tell someone of authority, such as a counselor at school or something, so they can help you. It sounds like you're beginning to be addicted to it, and should try to change that as soon as you can. A drink once in a while isn't going to hurt. But now you need some help to change this, unless you have an extreme amount of willpower.

3. cassiem

Ooh wow. I only drink at parties and when i do vodka is my drink of choice, but because i'm unpopular i only ever get invited to parties once or twice a year lol. What you're doing sounds really dangerous. I agree with secretgirlX, i think you should tell someone.

Good luck :slight_smile:

4. Azza

Sounds like your developing alcoholism or something like the others have said you REALLY should see someone about this if you find that you cannot stop drinking. Downing an entire bottle of vodka in the space of a week is definitely not good for you, the fact you are craving it suggests that you are becoming addicted. Try stopping it all together and if you find you do not have the willpower to then you have to ask for help, talk to a school councillor or go to your local doctors but do not continue this behaviour!

5. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would talk to a doctor or councillor about it; if you're in the UK a doctor would be free and confidential.

6. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Well it's not like I think about it all the time, when I'm out doing things or busy my mind is clean, but when I find myself with nothing to do then it starts to kick in and I start this obsession with it.

The strange thing is when I think to myself I really need some, I can almost taste it, but it tastes nice, not like nail varnish like vodka actually does... Is this the beginning of an addiction then?

To the rest: I really can't see anyone about this as it is more extensive than I have said but I really can't go into that, I just want ways that I personally can cut out the drinking, and as for the school councilor I am home schooled so thats a big no no.

7. Mad Man L

You're addicted to vodka. You need to get some help now, whether that be via a counsellor, doctor, or other person. The fact you're craving it and going through a bottle a week is a sign that you are doing serious harm to yourself. Even drinking to excess once every few months as a teen isn't exactly the best thing to be doing.

8. greeneyes

Yep, talk about it to someone.

I would also say talk to someone about feeling bipolar - I think there are other solutions.

My best advice is to follow a policy regarding alcohol. I had these strict rules for myself - no drinking alone, and don't surpass four drinks in one night (and don't surpass two within one hour, depending on the drink). I still to these rules. Depending on your situation the rules might vary, but I highly recommend systematizing yourself so you're in control.

9. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Well thanks for the help guys but I can't see someone about it, is there anything I can do at home for this? Something I can start? Would keeping busy stop this?

The thing is I'm feeling down all the time lately which is why I keep doing this, every single moment even moments that I should be over joyed with I'm just sad and angry and want to tell anyone who so much as says hello to me to "f off" so far drinking has been the only release for me to make me feel good and finally just let go and feel normal, I'm not sure what I can do :/

10. SlickyPants

I think that keeping busy would definitely help. Maybe go play a video game, read a book or something. Just something to keep your mind occupied and focussed. Hopefully it will distract you from any cravings. Even if you still crave the vodka, try to resist it and keep focussed on whatever your distraction might be. The first few minutes might be hell but before you know it you'll forget you even wanted a hit of vodka.

You mentioned a £15 bottle.. What size is that? Prices vary around the world and what costs £15 in your country might only cost £5 in a different country.

11. Eric

Why is talking to a doctor, counselor, or attending some sort of support group out of the question for you? Any of those options will help address the underlying problem that's causing you to want to drink more effectively than simply occupying yourself with something else could.

12. Cloudbreaker

If you are dead-set against talking to someone about this (which I also think you should do if you can) then perhaps this little bit of information will help you to resist your urges. Willpower is essentially an illusion. It does not exist.* And by that I mean that the only person who decides what you do or do not do is yourself.

*Disclaimer: This is not a proven fact, but a way of thinking.

13. DavidQT69

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are going down the path of destruction at an early age! You are almost a full-fledged alcoholic at almost 16 if you keep it up... It's not worth it because soon your grades WILL fall and people will notice, you will have it on your breath at school, and it will just spin into a whirlwind of crap. Stop now while you still can because the more you drink the harder it is to stop and you will start to get what's called "withdrawal" or "detox" and you will have seizures and headaches and puking and diarrhea; It's NOT fun... Definitely talk to someone about it, if not a counselor or an adult at least talk to a trusted friend that DOESN'T drink, LOL... Hope it helps...

14. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Alright thanks, I guess I will try to just keep busy, a game I'm going to be playing non-stop pre-purchase and access to open betas comes out 10th of April so it won't be hard for me to be distracted then, but until then may be a bit difficult :/

Hmm I'm not sure the exact volume a £15 bottle has... But if I had to make an estimation I would say around the lines of 700-1000ml

I believe willpower exists however your point of me being the only one who decides it is true, so I guess I'm just going to have to suck it up and deal with it, thanks.

15. unknownerror

there's no reason you can't speak to someone about this issue. you are young and this issue is only just arising. do not let it spiral out of control. not accepting the help you need is a classic sign of a stronger issue. asking for help here is a good step but you need to seek help at home. if not from parents, then from a guidance counselor, religious leader, licensed therapist or support group or something similiar. don't just let this self destructive behavior continue.

If you won't seek some of the above help then at least come here to EC if you are struggling, I know we will help you here as much as we can :slight_smile:

(&&&)

16. Benzidrine

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It sounds like you are aware of an issue which is the most important step. You've actually already crossed the biggest hurdle to stopping or cutting down your drinking.

My advice:
    Try to develop a hobby or interest that takes up your time. Part of the reason you could be desiring a drink is because mentally you are not being fulfilled by your current activities. If you can do more things that are fun but also challenge you in your spare time, you might find the temptation to drink lessens on its own.

Also try and become victory focused on your path to abstaining or drinking less. If you give into temptation don't let that destroy your self esteem as that will only make it harder to resist. Focus on the days you have succeeded rather than the days you failed and let the successes inspire you to greater successes.

17. Nero

at the tender age of 14 i recived a renowed name in the alchohol community as bath tub kid beacuse my first time drinking i had 12 straight shots of vodka and passed out but everytime i even look at vodka i hurl (almost) a counciler is a good place to break this habbit anthor option although not a good one is drink till you never want to drink agian alchohol is bad though so just stop your hurting youself and your loved ones espically at your age i speak from experience

18. BudderMC

This is what I don't understand. I fully get not WANTING to talk to someone, but not being able is hardly an option. There are endless anonymous systems in place (at the very least) to get you started. This is not one of those things you can tackle by yourself; in fact, if you attempt and don't succeed, I'd wager there's large potential for things to get worse. Particularly if this is some derivative of alcohol dependency stemming from unsaid feelings.

Nobody depends on alcohol because they're bored. There's something deeper than that. The thing is, our subconscious hides it so far within ourselves that it is incredibly difficult for us to figure out what it is. This is why you talk to someone. It is much easier to get an outside perspective in situations like these, because your mind is actively fighting your need to dig up whatever feelings were repressed. After all, that's what our subconscious is designed to do: to protect us from ourselves.

Take it from someone who's been on the receiving end; dealing with someone who has alcohol dependency isn't fun, and definitely damaging to relationships. It obviously isn't intentional, or selfish, but this deterioration of relationships just happens over time, and there's nothing that can really be done to repair it once it happens. Please do yourself and everyone else (whether your family, friends, or even us on EC) a favour and go talk to someone.

And I'm sorry if this is harsh, or intimidating, or anything like that; I don't mean it that way, but hopefully something will click with you to make you think it's a good idea.