1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think today's the day

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by unknownerror, Mar 24, 2012.

1. unknownerror

I think today I'm going to come out to someone for the first time (other than all of you wonderful people) ok well that's not entirely true...the other night I guess I came out to a male friend on line when I flirted back with him (that has gone to some very interesting places :icon_bigg )but this will be my first time coming out to a real life friend. Someone that I have known for some time.

I think I could really use some advice and support on this. I came to this decision yesterday before he visited with this wife, but I couldn't bring myself to bring it up (I came REALLY close once)

honestly he's probably the ideal friend to come out to. I know he'll be accepting, he loves to wear his "don't be hatn on the homos" tee shirt and has expressed himself many times to be open minded (plus hes a great friend) and I shouldn't have had any problem with his wife there, as she's an open bisexual but I couldn't bring myself to let it out.

any tips or hints? I'm kind of eager to do this and tonight will be a good opportunity that I don't want to pass up.

2. cscipio

Take a deep breath....and start talking.

My first person I came out to I practically had an entire script in my head. It got easier after that. Point is, you may want to consider how you want to start the conversation. I technically started mine drunk.....I got a 'do over' later on in which I started it by saying "I'm bisexual** I'm sorry it's taken me this long to say this to you, but, my sexual orientation has always been a confusing and personal thing for me..."

I'd also do it early in the conversation; depending on the closeness to the friend, it could lead to a couple hours of relieving conversation. Since things are likely to go well, you will likely find yourself wanting to get a lot of things out and off of your back. So, don't do it just before you're parting ways for the day or you'll just sit and over analyze the conversation and feel less than fulfilled.

Find a place where you are both comfortable and you feel secure. There's nothing worse than trying to talk about something intimate and the table behind you is making you paranoid or your waiter picks bad times to stop by.

HAVE WATER (or something to drink) - I personally got BAD cotton mouth when I first came out. It makes things much better.

Good luck and we'd love to hear how it goes.

** - I'm slowly accepting that I may just be gay; but, I have conflicts in my head that I'm still working past. Honestly, I hate labels....but that's a different thread.

3. Pilgrim is hot

I have only come out to one person but from my experience I'd just say take your time, don't rush what you want to say and don't be tempted to waiver if that person questions you. Oh and the biggest one be be proud of yourself as it takes a lot of courage :icon_bigg it can be unbelievably nerve wrecking but even one it's just one person who knows it's an amazing feeling :slight_smile: good luck (*hug*)

4. unknownerror

thanks for the support everyone....I've been thinking about saying "remember a few months ago when I complained that "I think my mom thinks I'm gay!"?" "she wasn't wrong"

its terribly flippant which is definitely my style....but I just don't think its the right approach...but thinking about it is making me chuckle inside and thats at least taking away form the nervousness

5. cscipio

Most speeches start off with a joke.

6. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally I wouldn't recommend the speech approach. I tried that my first time and fell apart. Thinking about what you would like to say in general wouldn't hurt though.
    Good luck!! It's so great that you have such an awesome friend you can tell. :slight_smile:

7. greeneyes

I like the joke. I wouldn't script it either, though it might be easier to start with that one-liner. I did it flippantly and in passing to my flippant brother and it worked really well. I didn't do a script, especially because I would clam up if I over thought it. You got this! =)

8. BudderMC

If you're scripting, just go so far as something to open the conversation. Keep it brief. Plan as far as getting out the 'reveal', and then stop. Scripting the whole conversation adds stress on you to keep it going the way you planned, and often it won't go that way anyway, so why stress yourself out?

The joke is a good idea. If you're close and that's your personality, he's sure to understand. It also indicates that you're not super uncomfortable with it either. Good luck! :slight_smile:

9. timo

I won't be of any use here, just want to say that I find all of this really helpful. Chickened out when I wanted to tell my best friend yesterday so this definitely helps me come out to him next time I see him. Especially the scripting part, I tend to script everything.

OP, good luck!

10. unknownerror

thank you so much everyone. I had one chance to steal a quick glance at this thread before I had my talk.

so I said to him "I have something I want to tell you. you are a great friend and Its very important and I need to know you will keep my confidence" he said of course, but that he would tell his wife, which I said was fine and anticipated.

and then I went to go in with the joke...and the wall just clamped down and I couldnt get out the words and I just sort of hemmed and hawed and then said "this is really difficult" and awesome as he is he says "you're really are gay right?"

he made it so easy for me. he really is an awesome friend :slight_smile: and it feels really quite awesome to have told someone.

thanks again everyone for the support and advice :slight_smile:

1 down...WAAY too many more to go!

11. Ianthe

Congratulations!

I have always found it shocking how hard it really is. Even when you know the person you're talking to is going to be accepting, it can just stick in your throat and refuse to come out.

I'm glad you have a friend that's so understanding.

12. cscipio

Awesome! I echo Ianthe, it's amazing as to how hard it is to come out and how easy it ended up being after you reflect on it.

Hope you stick around the forum.

13. unknownerror

Oh I'm not going anywhere :slight_smile: This site has been so incredibly helpful to me and while I've made some wonderful progress there is a lot more to go...many of which will be even more difficult :wink:

plus you all are awesome :slight_smile:

14. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats!!! Your first one! :grin:
    It's so weird how everything seems to just shut down on you isn't it? That's what happened with my first one, and now I'm thinking that letter I wrote seems even better an idea. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. unknownerror

oh boy and here I go again. I believe I will be telling another friend today. I'd like to think it will be easier, but I'm not holding my breath :wink:

16. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good luck! You must be on a roll! :grin:

17. unknownerror

thanks. this one was definitely more difficult. But I finally managed to get through it. She was accepting but I think a little uncomfortable.....