1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mixed signals & work

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MyDecember, Mar 24, 2012.

1. MyDecember

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't come on here often but after a lot of thinking I need gay opinion due to the lack of gays in my life atm.

Here is the deal

I like a guy at work. Fair enough.
    This guy I like, don't know if he likes me back.
    I don't know because mixed signals are everywhere.
    I would ask him on a date BUT I work with him.

Asked him to hang out one day.
    He did.
    Stuff was said to where yes he seemed interested but one does not talk about their ex so easily in front of potentials yet one does not invite potentials over for a boozed educed night.
    Friendly flirt mode was on, on both sides.

What is the biggest indicator, at least to me, that he is interested is that he always throws situations out in where you would expect someone who liked you to give a certain answer back

Ex:
    Him: I have never been to "X"
    ME: WHAT? Flirt flirt flirt
    Him: Flirt flirt flirt
    Me: I need to take you then
    Him: Fine then we'll go

but to counter this statement he responds to...

Me: hey a friend of mine and I are going early to "X" tomorrow. Want to come?
    Him: That is too early. I go to sleep at 2 and get up at 10.
    Me: but you need to go to "X" early or else you dont get to see it all.
    Him: Im going to be too tired.

These conversations happen more often than not.
    So here is the thing. I was advised that the following could be what is making the situation what it is.

He likes me but is playing games,
    He doesn't know if he likes me and is just playing the field
    He doesn't like me but has no idea I like him and is oblivious to what he is doing
    He doesn't like me and is trying to find a way of letting me down by constantly turning me "on" then turning me down.

Has anyone been in this situation? If so please info now :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Why must men be so confusing? :eusa_doh:

TL;DR: I work with guy who I like and he is constantly giving me mixed signals.

#1 MyDecember, Mar 24, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  2. Ianthe

From "all but family," can I assume that you are out at work and he know's you're gay?

Do you know if he likes guys, in general?

If the answer to both of those is yes, you can just ask him out.

3. Jim1454

^ Agreed.

4. insidehappy

its never too late to be what you already are.

5. CottonCandy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't know if you are out at work too, but from experience, I'd be weary of getting involved with someone at work unless I'm absolutely certain that they are genuine. It is always possible that things wouldn't workout and you'd be stuck in a situation where you have to deal with this person regularly, its not easy, trust me. Just take your time and let the situation play out a little, let him do the chasing, let him show you real genuine interest, and then you can make a decision on what you really want, without being stressed about the mixed signals.

Good luck :slight_smile:

6. insidehappy

i woudln't get involved with someone from work unless i knew they were gay, knew they wanted a relationship and knew they could keep their mouth shut if i wasn't out.

work things are hard becuase relationships sometimes work out and sometimes they don't and when they dont and end badly if you work with the person you have to see them daily and if they can cause problems for you at your job especially if you are on the same team. i would steer clear unless the other things are pretty definite that i mentioned above.