1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Weird Place

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Pain, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Pain

Pain Guest

I’m in a weird place; I suppose I should begin where it matters– to start, I became comfortable telling myself, “I’m gay,” earlier on– say, about a year ago. It took time, as expected, to become as comfortable as I am now, though I’m still not “out of the closet,” so as to use the popular expression. I’m terrified of the “what if’s” I face if I were to come out– regarding my friends, as my parents already know– and I’ve been told I shouldn’t be, and those several whom I’ve told should provide enough experience for me. Perhaps it may be because my reasoning is that if I make an announcement of it, then it will give license for others to react in a big way, because it would be presented in a big way. But, I can’t seem to find the right words to say; it’s difficult to just slip it into friendly conversation. I find it harder to remember those who know and those who don’t, and I find myself throwing caution to the wind in ways I talk– in this situation, I think that it would be easy to just comment on some guys’ looks, and then just answer any questions that are asked to me. It does seem like a small, minimal-drama way to come out, I think. Any thoughts?

2. TheAMan

The first thing I want to tell you is to never feel like you HAVE to come because you don't. Too many people make that mistake and they regret it for the rest of their lives. When you come out, make sure that you are 100% confident in doing so. Remember, once you come out there is no going back. Start with the person that you trust the most and then go from there. I hope this helps.

3. Travel Tech

I've been giving this sort of thing some thought, you know, just planning things out for future reference when I get my orientation figured out. I assume it would be different for everyone, but I plan on simply telling my mom first in person, then letting my roommate(s) (Depending on how long it takes, I have two now but I'll probably only have one next year) know and my dad know depending on what order I see them. After that I casually place it as my Facebook status and be done with it.

But really, just think over your own unique situation and do what feels right.

4. Jim1454

Hi there, and welcome to EC! (If it's OK with you, please don't make your font smaller - it makes it tough to read.)

If you've come out to the important people in your life, then I wouldn't worry about making any kind of grand announcement to people. I wouldn't even make a comment in order to bring the subject up - unless you really did find some guy cute and wanted to comment on that.

For me it's easy. I talk about my husband. People get that. Even if they didn't know I was gay, they do the second I say that. And there really isn't anything to ask me at that point. The conversation just carries on - but they now know what team I'm playing on.

Again - welcome!

5. Pain

Pain Guest

Thanks =)
    Thing is, a lot of my friends know-- thankfully I am 100% sure they're trustworthy.... But I think I'm ready and I would have no problem with it, and I would like to, but I'm waiting for the right moment. Is that naive of me? IS there even a right moment? And are the "what if's" worth fearing?