1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing with homophobic parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jared, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Jared

So I've tried coming out to my mom a few times over the past few months and each time it's a huge disaster. My parents are very conservative and we live a small redneck town. Every time I tell her I'm gay, she gets upset and insists I'm not gay and then acts like I never told her. The rejection is not helping me too much, since I had enough trouble coming to terms with being gay and I've been trying to work on my self worth, which I have about none of. When she insists I'm not gay, it's like a knife to the heart. Coming out to my dad is not even an option, I'd considered myself if lucky if he only broke a few bones.

I actually was a bit shocked when my mom reacted badly when I first told her since she has a lot of lesbian friends. But now she seems to constant make homophobic remarks whenever I talk to her and it makes me feel like shit. Tonight I got so mad at her when she went on a rant about how one the people on the celebrity apprentice was supporting glsen and that they shouldn't be encouraging people to be gay. I just want her to accept who I am, a d that my sexuality is not all of me. If I had known she would have reacted this bad, I would have never mentioned being gay, but at the time I needed someone to support me and I thought she would. Boy was I wrong :bang:

2. Carpe Diem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Sorry to hear about that. This is why I haven't come out to my parents (despite having a hunch that they would react positively if I play my cards right).

Judging from your username, I am guessing that you're 19 so your best option is to consult see your uni's/college's counseling service and maybe join the LGBT group (every uni should have one, well, at least the major ones).

You can't undo what you've done so don't dwell on it any longer. You're probably under some stress now so try to reduce your stress levels in the mean time. Don't let it turn into depression. Here are a couple of suggestions:

1. Keep your heart rate up for at least 45 min per session, 3 times a week. Do some cardio like jogging. This is scientifically proven to reduce stress levels.
    2. Eat healthily. This is very important.
    3. Spend more time on your hobby. Don't turn it into a procrastination outlet though.
    4. Maintain a healthy social network.
    5. Don't keep it bottled inside. Talk to someone about it. Posting here counts.

Try searching for books or online materials on coming out to family. You might be able to get through to your mum with the help of those books.

Keep us updated. Talking helps. :slight_smile: