1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friend said he was queer... what does he mean?!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Waffles, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Waffles

So, the title basically says it all. ._.
    My friend and I were talking one day and it was just the two of us.
    He basically said "Do you think I'm gay?"
    And I said "No, why? You're the straightest person I know."
    "Okay. I mean I know I'm queer, but I'm not gay."

... and he told me a few monthes ago.
    I though he meant queer as in weird, but does he mean something else?
    Him and I go to different high schools, so I rarely have the chance to ask him.
    But that's exactly what he said: "I'm queer but I'm not gay".
    Any ideas? ._.

2. BudderMC

It's one of a few things:

1) He means queer as in weird.
    2) He means queer because he doesn't like identifying as gay (because of stereotypes or whatever).
    3) He means queer because he doesn't know what he identifies as, but he knows it's not straight.

If you're out to him, given that he's 'queer' I'm sure he wouldn't be offended if you asked him to clarify out of curiousity (though, you're the best judge of that).

Now my question to you: What should it matter what he means? He's treating it like a non-issue, and is your friend, so you should follow suit (which I assumed you were doing before anyway, but are just curious).

3. Waffles

Well... reason why I ask is because I have a crush on him... so if he is queer as in he likes boys, then that'll kinda make me happy because there there's a possibility that I could go out with him.
    I wanna make it clear that I have NOTHING wrong with him being queer. I just wanna know how I should interpret it... ^^;

4. BudderMC

Maybe a "I know you mentioned ages ago that you were queer... and I'm sorry if I seemed unsupportive or something. I guess I thought you meant 'weird', and for some reason only realized now that maybe you meant something more than that. So if you ever want to talk, I'll listen!"

Iunno. Also, isn't the rule of thumb in cases like these friends first, relationships second? If he's interested in you, I'm sure you'll pick up on it, and he'll pick up on you being interested in him too. But don't push anything too much :slight_smile:

5. DhammaGamer

I think he means he is not straight but doesn't really identify as homosexual or Bi. You should just be honest with him. Be like, "so, yeah, you wanna make out?" lol maybe not that forward, but you're young, you never know :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: