1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How would you interpret this?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nemo39122, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Nemo39122

I'll start by saying I know it's impossible to know what a friend meant without asking her. This has just been bugging me lately and wanted a little insight into whether anyone else sees this the way I do.

So, October 2010. I'm not out at all. I'm texting my best friend at the time (who happens to be lesbian, in case that has any relevance to this) and we're just talking about the same strange stuff we always talk about. Then she asks me if she can ask a personal question. I say of course.

Her: "Are you gay?"
    Me: "no, but I'm bi"
    Her: "lol well that's cool...but bi is gay. if you like the same sex at all you're gay. so...that's awesome lol"

What did she mean by that?! :bang:

I wondered this at the time but honestly just didn't want to know. This was the first friendship I had ever had where I didn't have to hide everything (not just sexuality-wise). Was she maybe just calling it the same thing? Or is she one of those who think there's no such thing as bi? Any possible explanation I'm missing?

Again, I know no one can really answer this for me besides her. I'm just curious if others interpreted this the same way, or if I'm just being oversensitive about this kind of thing. :eusa_doh:

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She probably just assumes that people who say they're bisexual are really people who are gay but aren't ready to fully accept that. And... that's true for a lot of people, though certainly not everyone. My guess is in her experience, people who have come out to her as bi have later identified as gay so she's assuming everyone is that way.

But it doesn't need to mean much of anything to you or to your relationship with her.

3. Nemo39122

Yeah that would make sense...I think she identified as bi at one point so that would explain why she thinks that.

Thanks for your input. :slight_smile: