1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Zaio, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Hi EC, yep it's a straight friend post.

So I'm not in love with this straight friend or anything but I believe I'm starting to get a crush over him, I keep thinking about him in more ways than sexually, like how beautiful his hair, eyes are etc, the way he has a smile that can make me smile any day.

Anyway, how can I stop this start of a crush from evolving? As mentioned, he is straight so I obviously don't want this to continue.

It's probably due to the fact that he is very strong for a 15 year old, like he always picks up my friends and puts them on his shoulders effortlessly, and the fact he is so confortable with his sexuality, he turned up to sports relief 2012 as a gimpy fairy wearing tights, a tank top, wings and antlers. I could probably do that too but I'd be pretty self conscious and mortified, whereas he didn't care at all.

I don't really see him much so sepparation isn't an issue, but I just think about him all the time, pretty much at some point during the day every day.

Sometimes I'll just stare at a picture of me and him on Facebook and just feel like I'm going to be alone forever, want to try and break this.

2. TroubledRyan

Well seperation is probably the biggest key, which you say you already have. Maybe not enough seperation? Even staring at his pictures is a form of not seperating. You make yourself more attached by doing that.

The other thing I would suggest is talking to other people. When you have other people taking up your time, its hard to think about that one guy. These other people can consist of friends (new or old) or new crushes. If your school has the whole lgbt or gsa clubs, you can try their. Or even some online 'dating' sites, where you can talk to other gay people (local or foreign).

3. Zaio

Zaio Guest

I still always think of him though... He's just so beautiful and perfect, if only there was a machine to convert people...

4. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, here's one key to it - he's perfect, except for one huge problem that means he doesn't want a relationship with a guy. So really, he's not all that perfect.

Try to focus on the idea that what you know of him is, relatively speaking anyways, a surface-level knowledge. He's cute, ok, and he seems like a nice guy, fine. But lots of people - even those that seem like they have everything together - have their own issues and emotional baggage. You just don't know his yet, so it's easy to idolize him.

And distance is good, but staring at pictures of you two won't help. Take the pictures down, or untag them or something - dwelling on them will only make you feel worse in relation to him, which isn't something that will help any long-term goal you might have.

5. I think it's important to understand that everyone deserves to be loved back (I say that a lot). Crushes are fine, but just leave it at that, and keep a rational mind.

6. Zaio

Zaio Guest

To be honest, I would prefer if he had emotional baggage/issues, as I personally suffer from bi-polar and other issues, would actually make me feel better that way.

Alright I'll remove the pictures and see where that leads me, thanks.

7. I have a straight friend I've always kind of had a lingering crush on...I see him almost everyday...but I know its not going to get me anywhere. I just love him like a brother...a really cute brother...lol and I leave it at that. There is nothing wrong with unconditional love as long as you can control yourself...in fact any kind of sexual thought with him is actually a major turn off...I guess its a different situation but I don't know its easy for me to put up my walls to the straight people that I really wish weren't...

8. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Ok without trying to sound too graphic lately every time I have masturbated I have been having thoughts about him, and when I realise I'm doing it thinking about him I try to think of other things but in the end it just ends up coming back around to him... I'm not sure how to break this... I KNOW I can't have him because he's straight... No idea why I'm attracted to him since I know this fact :/

9. jtnc2012

I'm in a similar situation, except mine is worse. I was able to hold up a wall to my straight friend, but as we got closer we got more intimate. However, in the end, it only ended in heartbreak for me. And I regret it 100%. Even if you do get a straight friend to sleep with you, it doesn't mean they will let go of their notion of heterosexuality.

Instead of lingering on this one guy, expand your circle of friends and find new love interests. It's the only way.

10. Zaio

Zaio Guest

I'm not the type to sleep with someone unless we've been in a relationship for a while, so theres a no go there anyway.

Usually I have a wall up on all my straight friends, this is the first guy that seems to have gotten over the wall :/ we aren't even close yet I find myself falling for him, there isn't really anyone else around that I like... The only other gay guy I know is my ex but he used me for sex so I'm repulsed by him now :/