1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think rejection might be one of my triggers for self-injury

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Caoimhe Fayre, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Caoimhe Fayre

so I'm having a really bad night tonight. I'm working on this project, retelling a famous love story with two female leads instead of a straight couple... I'm doing it through sonnets, which I'm not really great at writing, but I'm trying my hand at it.

Anyway, I read them at my writer's workshop tonight, and as usual everyone smiled and said they were great. Except for one woman, a good friend of mine who happens to be something of a conservative Muslim, asked "Is this about two women who are in love?" and then the look on her face when I said yes... she didn't say anything, but she looked absolutely disgusted. :frowning2: and normally at the end of the night she would say goodbye to me and give me a hug but tonight it was like I wasn't even there, she didn't even really look at me.

Then I overheard someone else who had said she was really proud of me and that my sonnets were coming along great telling someone that she had found something really repetitive and boring. Since she (along with everyone) had been all compliments after every reading tonight, I wondered if maybe she was talking about my work.

This group has kind of gotten into the habit of complimenting writers to their faces and then, behind their backs, picking their work apart in an uncharitable and unhelpful manner. It's really bugging me, because these people are like my family, but now I'm starting to question how honest they are.

And if they say they like my writing when they don't, what about my music? Maybe people are just saying they like that when they don't? And what about the fact that I came out to them? Maybe even those who said they support and love me anyway really don't? I know most of them have created more distance between myself and them, stopped e-mailing or calling, that kind of thing...

So I've been trying not to cry over it since I got home, maybe I'm imagining all or most of this rejection, but right now I really really want to cut (I've struggled with this since I was thirteen, and right now I'm just about at two weeks of not cutting) and I don't think I'll feel better until I do. Either that or talk to someone that I know will understand or will be able to help me through this, but everyone is busy right now and I don't want to upset people by admitting that right now, talking to someone might be the only thing that will keep me from cutting. Especially since I might end up talking with someone and still end up cutting afterward anyway, because I've done that before on really bad nights when even talking doesn't help.

I don't know why I'm telling all of you this, except that there's no one else for me to tell this to right now and I need to do something different. I'm 24, aren't things supposed to be better by now? Why am I still terrified of what will happen if my mother finds out, why am I still disgusted at myself every time I think a vaguely sexual thought?

#1 Caoimhe Fayre, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  2. Waffles

Don't cut! You're so much better than that!
    Rejection is something that many people fear.
    That's kinda how I feel when I show my drawings,
    or even ask the person if they're really my friend.
    We don't like the feeling of rejection because all
    or us, whether we admit it or not, seek approval
    from those we care about.
    Trust me, these feelings CAN be stored away.
    Just remember this phrase:
    "I ain't here to meet your standards".

And please... don't cut yourself. :frowning2:
    Inflicting pain on yourself won't get anything accomplished.

3. Mogget

It looks like there's a few problems going on here. 1) your writing group, it sounds like it isn't really a safe place for you and that's upsetting you; 2) feeling disgusted by your sexuality; 3) worrying about your mother finding out; and 4) self-harm.

The two I feel most qualified to address are two and four, so I'll talk about those and leave other ECers to work on the rest. First, it's not immoral or bad to be uncomfortable with or even disgusted by your sexuality. These are emotional reactions, over which you have no control. Emotions are your mind's way of explaining to you the input it's getting from your five external senses and your sixth internal one (i.e. your thoughts). The senses can lie and thoughts can lie, but emotions cannot. That doesn't mean emotions are objective by any means. What your emotions are telling you is that you haven't fully accepted your sexuality, nothing more, nothing less. And that's okay.

Accepting being gay is something that comes slowly to a lot of queer people, a quick perusal of the threads here in the Support and Advice section should make that clear. A lot of us have significant cultural and familial barriers to acceptance, and we internalize these messages. Working out what your barriers are will help you to understand why you're having this difficulty, and from there to working on it.

Self-harm. I've done it, and so have many of my friends. Self-harm is a coping mechanism for dealing with emotional stress. By triggering the senses sharply, it draws me out of my mind and into my body. It reminds me that I am alive if I feel dead inside. Stopping self-harm, therefore, is best accomplished by finding other, healthier ways of pulling you out of your mind and into your body. This process is called "grounding."

There are a number of grounding techniques. They range from running cold water over your hands to eating food slowly and deliberately, focusing on nothing but the feel and taste of the food in your mouth to exercise to meditation. If you want, I can go over grounding exercises with you in more detail.

4. Caoimhe Fayre

right now I am coping by distracting myself, but that will only get me so far. :/

I'm willing to try a grounding exercise, that sounds like a good idea. I think I know of some, but I never thought to try it as a substitute for self-harm. exercise used to help, I used to go outside and shovel snow in winter or go for walks, but I'm not supposed to anymore because it's not safe to be out at night.

5. Mogget

A few grounding exercises

Eating an orange. There is nothing like an orange. It has a unique color, smell, texture, taste, and smell. More, all of these are striking to the senses. Slowly peeling and eating an orange is an excellent grounding exercise. The point is to fully engage in the process. Savor the smell, the feel of the peel in your hands, the weight of the orange, inhale deeply as you open it to get the full citrus scent.

Meditation. There are a number of these, some are harder than others. The first mediation I ever learned was to lie on my back, slowly breathing in and out through my stomach. Then, clench the muscles of my feet for a few breaths and unclench them. Then clench my feet and my calves for a few breaths and unclench them. And so on up my body until I was clenching my whole body.

Running cold water over your hands. Pretty much exactly what it says on the tin, provides a mild sensation to the skin. In that same vein...

Ice. Hold an ice cube to your skin. This, like cutting, is painful, but unlike cutting it won't hurt you unless you hold the ice cube to the same spot on your skin for a long time.

Petting an animal. If you have a pet, giving it some affection, savoring the feel of the fur, can be an excellent grounding exercise.

There are hundreds of them, that's just a brief list.

6. Caoimhe Fayre

I can't believe it but I got through yesterday without cutting and today I feel way better. Thank you for listening and being there, and for the grounding exercises. I think it really helped me to just be able to admit to how bad I was feeling, instead of trying to hide it and manage it alone. if that makes sense.