1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I like this guy and he likes me but the day we were suppose to meet his mom died

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by tigerguy, Mar 29, 2012.

1. tigerguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So I have been talking to this guy for a week and we are both bi and not out. We both really like each other very much and have texted, talked on the phone and skyped. We were going to meet and see if we wanted to purse a relationship and eventually come out together. But the day we were going to meet his mother passed away and I dunno what to do. I have been trying to comfort him but it is hard since we have yet to meet and I am scared he will forget me because he is grieving. What should I do?

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tough one...yeah, I'd say it's probably pretty hard to start a relationship with someone who's just started grieving for the loss of a parent.

I would say the best thing to do at this point is to be there for him as a friend, if he wants that. Offer to spend some time with him if he wants, and don't expect anything romantic or sexual to come of it - he's gonna have some real downer days, that's for sure. The trick is finding a way to be very focused on him and his needs as a friend, but not letting yourself get too used to that for if you ever get into a relationship...

Yeah, I dunno. I don't see any way out of this one that doesn't involve you being just a friend for a while, cause I think that's all he'll have energy for. Keep your expectations low and your shoulder ready for him to cry on, but that's about all you can do, I'd think.

3. jimL

He is not going to forget you. Just be there for him in his time of need. Text him and ask him if there is anything you can do to help him through this rough time. Maybe you can meet him in person and just talk. It's just going to take some time...maybe a lot of it. He needs to go through the grieving process before he can even think about the rest of his life. I feel very sad for him. It must be incredibly difficult to lose a parent at such a young age. Just be patient with him.

4. unknownerror

good luck with this. You may very have to write this off as a lost cause...because he is going to have WAY more on his mind than this. That doesn't mean it necessarily is though..Let him know you are there for him, but give him his space and let him come to you if he's going to. Life is going to be difficult enough for him, you don't want to make him upset or resent you.

good luck!

5. Pain

Pain Guest

I actually went through something like that-- a little different but close. There isn't much you can do really; but what you can do is let him know that you will be there for him-- to listen to him when he wants to talk... It's really sad and you might drift a little, but don't push yourself onto him because that might stress him out even more. Try to have patience and things will play out

6. tigerguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks guys! I have given him some space and he called me last night to assured me that he still wants me and we talked for two hours :slight_smile:. I am just happy that he did not forget me.