1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

unable to cry

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Marlowe, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Marlowe

I have always been very closed about my emotions. Because of this, I long ago stopped crying. Even as I become more emotionally open, I still have literally lost the ability to cry. I realized this when I went to see an incredible live performance of Les Mis. The second act is amazing and tragic. Both of my friends were bawling their eyes out. And I wanted to cry too -- this was the closest I have ever come to doing so since I got vaguely misty eyed at the end of toy story 3 -- but I couldn't. Instead it would up as something awkwardly coughing and dry heaving with my eyes getting somewhat moist. I want to be able to cry. It is unnatural that I cannot.

Anyone have any experience with a situation like this?

2. TheRoof

i definitely had the same experience, well having the same experience is more accurate. I haven't properly cried in years although I lost counting so that must mean for quite a long time.
    So I was watching Lion King the musical the other day and there was very emotional scene and although I have that emotions going through my mind and I feel a little bit of moisture coming to my eyes, but that's where it ends.
    For me, I have problem showing vulnerable side to people. I hate that feeling, it makes me feel exposed. I realize it's not very healthy but I find it very hard to "fix".

3. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

You said that it's unnatural for you to not be able to cry, but that's not true. Everyone responds to experiences differently, and everyone expresses their emotions differently. For example, I generally don't express emotion. I think I've seen exactly one movie that made me cry, though the one I saw today came close. Prior to this semester, the few times I did express any emotion in public, people were usually aghast -- "she isn't an uncaring, emotionally-impaired robot?!?"

In other words, there's nothing wrong with being unable to cry at situations that make others cry.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to be like this... but one day I snapped. I just started to cry. I also punched out a window.

I don't really know what changed that day... something did though.

I still have trouble showing emotion.. but I have been getting better at it.