1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genderqueer or tomboy?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Harlequin, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Harlequin

The title pretty much describes it. I'm wondering, those of you who are biologically female, genderqueer, or know what I'm talking about, how did you distinguish tomboyishness from being genderqueer? Where does the line get drawn between the two? I think I'm genderfluid (though mostly on the male side) so that makes it a bit harder, especially in my girlier moments.

2. jessielt

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi,
    I'm biologically female and identify as somewhere between female and genderqueer. According to the genderbread person, genderqueer relates to your gender identity and how you think about yourself. I feel like being a tomboy has more to with how you dress or act and relates more with your gender expression. I think sometimes your gender identity and your expression can align but sometimes they don't.

Honestly though you should just be you and identify as whatever feels right for you. Sometimes these labels can be very limiting and can't describe you completely.

3. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

^ All very true.

Also, keep in mind that a lot of labels like genderqueer, bigender, two-spirit, etc can overlap in a lot of areas. Like the poster above said, don't worry too much about the label and worry more about being yourself and enjoying it.