1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I just get over him?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Azza, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Azza

Like the title says I'm crazy about this guy but I'm pretty sure that the feeling isn't mutual. Whenever I'm in that stage where I am trying to move on he always does something that makes me think that he may like me. For example the other day I asked him to some party and he didn't end up going because he had too much "work"... at the beginning of a two week school holiday :dry: So anyway I thought yep this is it going to get him out of my head then he starts talking to me on facebook chat and he was kind of jokingly flirting with me and talked to me for about an hour so I was all happy and stuff. Then the next day I start talking to him over facebook and he just came off as really disinterested so then I got depressed again and I just don't know what to do :confused:

It's only annoying because I REALLY like him and I just want to stop all these irritating emotions because it distracts me from all my school work, not to mention my mood is practically dependant on how he acts towards me. I am sick of it. I don't know if he is gay/bi/straight or whatever because in all the time I have know him he's never expressed any kind of preference. Any helpful tips for moving on would be welcome because this has been going on for about three months now! :bang:

2. insidehappy

i have been here and i feel your plight. since you like him, you get excited when there is any level of contact because you think "ok maybe this means he is interested in me too" then you are equally deflated if the contact is short or nonexistent becuase you think "ok, he doesn't like me and i was dreaming all of this up in my head." then he contacts you again and the cycle continues.

in order to move out of this cycle there are some things you have to do:

1. realize that if you do not know he is straight or gay, the odds are in the favor of him being straight. so since that is the case, you can decided to do four things:

choice 1. accept that he is probably straight and only see him as a friend. never tell him about your attraction and wean yourself off of him by not initiating contact with him and only responding to any contact he makes. put him in the mental "friend zone" and focus on someone that you know is gay and that may have a chance to return the type of attractions you have.

choice 2: continue to pine away for him without knowing if he is gay and hoping one day he comes out to you that he has a secret crush on you.....the odds are not in favor of this happening.

choice 3: come out to him if you feel liek its safe and see how he responds. If he responds favorably then possibly at a later time you can tell him how you feel about him and see if he likes you the same way. i do not want to be negative but although it could be the case that he does like you adn is a closeted homosexual, the odds are that he is straight and just being friendly or even if he is gay he may not be ready to fess up anyway adn will say he is straight.

choice 4. ask him if he is gay. this is not advised because it can offend someone if they are not and it puts people on the defense especially if you have not already outed yourself to them.

good luck in whatever choice you make.