1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you feel after coming out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Lewis, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Lewis

I've heard many times that it's a huge weight off your shoulders, you feel happy (regardless of how people take it) and that it's just generally a really good feeling.

I really lack confidence as of now and I was wondering whether it will improve if I did eventually come out. I guess everyone feels different, but it's just something I wondered. :lol:

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

It's not going to make everything instantly sunshine and roses, but it definitely does feel good to be open about it. You're no longer expending energy putting up a façade. You're no longer watching your every word when certain topics of conversation come up, making sure you don't say the wrong thing to betray who you really are. You're no longer stressed out wondering who's going to find out and who are they going to tell. But I think biggest of all, you gain real ownership of this part of who you are, and that feels spectacular.

3. Lewis

Thanks! Well that's the most annoying thing for me, having to be careful what I say. I've sometimes been half asleep and been so close to saying something stupid! But yeah, I definitely spend most of my days stressing out about it...

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's different for everybody, but for me? I felt relieved. Happy. It's nice to just relax and not watch what I had to say, or hide what I was thinking. I could say simple things like "I want a boyfriend" or "I think he's kinda hot", and everybody took it in stride.

Lex

5. shy

shy

When I came out for the first time I was almost scared to death. I was shivering so hard the prof actually noticed that sth was going on (it was during a lession).
    That day I felt naked all day, I felt like I had lost my protection although everyone had been supportive. But now, 2 or 3 weeks later, I feel absolutely fine. Now I realize what a burden I had been carrying around with me by not telling anyone. It's nothing wrong to be not the average heterosexual typ, but at some point the well kept secret felt as good as lying to my friends. That's what made me coming out and I'm glad I did so.

All the best for your coming out when your time has come.

shy

6. Lewnatic

It's really down to the person.
    For me, it spiralled me into depression and anxiety. I looked for problems where there were not any. Not everyone is so lucky - it's not always a liberating experience.

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For me.. It felt weird at first. But then I realized that I did not have to hide a part of myself anymore. I could actually be me.

Now, It's nice to have that stress gone. I also am used to being out now and not hiding myself anymore.

8. sguyc

It felt good telling my friends.
    Parents.. not so much. They were ok with it for the most part but my dad got kind of emotional and I was just like ugh...
    And they had no idea so I know they were expecting different things out of me and were disappointed (if only slightly).
    But w/e at least now its not on my mind any more.

9. Lewis

I really appreciate all of your posts! I'm definitely far from being ready to come, but it's nice to know that I'll probably eventually find happiness (as cliche as it sounds)!

Another question! Do you suddenly feel ready to come out? Do you build up to it? Because right now it feels like something quite impossible, I'm hoping one day I just feel ready. I sometimes wish that my parents would just ask me, because I know that I'd break down and tell them! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. sguyc

I didn't want to come out in high school. And I was even planning on going through college without telling anyone pretty much. Once I broke away from my comfort zone that I had been living in for most of my life and went away to college I suddenly had the need to tell everyone. It was kind of the realization that my life was beginning to move faster and faster and that it was foolish to hold myself back. Also I was really curious as to how my friends would react. After a few months away from them I was like shit, if I really consider them my closest friends then they need to know this part of me.

11. Lewis

I feel like that now, I really want people to know, so I can do what other people my age are doing! It just feels so impossible. I think if my parents gave me some sort of signal that it's okay or that they know, I'd tell them!

I really don't care about my friends knowing, it's mainly my parents, but I couldn't tell my friends in fear that it could somehow lead to my parents finding out. Neither of them have problems with gay people, but I just don't want them to go through the shock of it all.

12. kyle 1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Come out only when you are 100% comfortable and accepting of yourself. You definitely need to accept yourself before others can accept their change of perspective on you, or it could go wrong if you're still in the denial stage. :wink:

If you feel scared after coming out to a certain person.... remember that it's only they who know and not others. Even though they might see you in a different light, everyone else sees you as the same (temporarily, anyway...). You don't have to tell everyone, also. Only whom you are comfortable with :slight_smile:

#12 kyle 1, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  13. secretguyX

It felt really relieving, but I was scared even after telling them, because I tend to over think things. It felt weird too, letting people know who I am, since I was so used to hiding it. I still get the, "Holy shit, people know I'm gay?!" feeling once in a while, but overall I'm so much happier now that I've told a few people. It also made it more real, that this is actually my life.

14. King

King Guest

^ This.
    I came out to my mom when I was 14 - was I ready? Hell no! I still struggle with coming to terms with being gay.
    I feel like I should point out that coming out is a relief - but it doesn't really change anything if you don't let it. I'm out to a few people close to me... But I still don't act the way I want to because I feel like they feel uncomfortable about it. So I don't ever talk about being gay... You know?

Coming out itself is a relief. The aftermath is a different story that you have to write.
    (wow sounds dramatic, didn't mean for it to sound so cliche but... You know what I mean.)

15. BajanBoy13

Im sick of having to watch what i say i just want to be me...At this point i don't really care what people think...

16. sanguine

i totally understand, that was the main reason why i came out, it does feel good for awhile when your out, then life goes back to being normal, i mean its not like your gonna tell every single person you come across that your gay, or that your gonna magically gonna get a boyfriend/girlfriend.

being free to be is the reward in itself, im just happy everything is still the same as it was while i was still closeted.

17. BajanBoy13

Wow your lucky :0 Hope it goes like that for me....

18. Lewis

I'm definitely comfortable with it, well I accept it. I personally have no problem with me being gay, it's other people that I'm worried about!

When I say happy, I don't think of getting into a relationship (I don't even think I want to be in one yet), I mean as in the freedom thing. I feel very trapped in my own head and that what people see of me is only like...60% and I want to just be 100% me. I'll just wait and see if one day I suddenly feel as if I have the strength to just tell people. I may even tell an online friend, not sure if that would help, but I guess it's me saying it directly to somebody.

19. BajanBoy13

Same thing with me it took me a while to accept it but now I just hope people will aswell.

20. Lewis

It's pretty annoying. I'm so ready to live my life, but I just can't.