1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why always me? 2nd annuance or just overreacting?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by shy, Apr 3, 2012.

1. shy

shy

Today at chemistry lab I had a most unpleasant situation. I won't tell all the details how it came up cause it's pretty stupid but:

I was refusing to give away a 1) private 2) pretty expensive tool (a single-channel pipette) because I still needed it for a time based analysis.
    That bloke of a guy who tried to take it away started insulting me and accusing me (sry for the word, but lack of english and situation based vocab asks for this) as gay (what I actually am) and being most discriminating about homosexuals. Fine, I could handle that. It reached top when he started pretending he was my boyfriend (uuuugh, that guy is hideous in a way... he looks like an overused condome) and started touching my butt. I mentioned this was sexual annuance (which I went through a few years ago, so everything came up again, all those feelings and bad memories). At first he wouldn't stop and timed his actions on situations when I couldn't react due to chemicals in hand... Luckily a lab-assistant and my labpartner arrived shortly after and he had to stop. I don't think the assistant got anything but I told my labpartner.

On my way home I threw up, that guy just grossed me out in a way...:tears: as usually, to people around me I said I was ok... I obviously wasn't.

My question: Is this to be considered as sexual annuance (I don't question mobbing and discrimination, as these were quite obvious) or have I just become to over-sensitive to this as I already went through this?

thanks for your help

shy

2. stupidIvan

Eh, nah, that sounds like sexual harrassment to me. Even if he was joking. I'd wait for a second opinion though!

3. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

I am not sure of the type of learning environment you are in (university, private college) however, there are rules towards conduct, and personally, I find that there is nothing more repugnant than someone bullying you with homophobic remarks, and then making sexual advances towards you in jest, as if to state that you are even remotely interested, or that you are 'his'.

If this happens again (although it sounds punishment worthy) I strong advise you to seek the help of someone in a high authoratative position, skip over your teacher and go right to the dean, headmaster, whatever.

Its no different in the work place, or on the streets. This type of sexual bullying is unacceptable. I have some more caustic, damaging and permanent solutions in mind, but as I'm new to this forum, I'm going to keep those to myself. Good luck, protect yourself.

4. shy

shy

I study chemistry at an university (in switzerland) (thought that would be clear due to the presence of lab-assistance).

As for a next time, I really hope it won't give a next time if only this was just gross. If I loose temper or lack self control I could hurt him seriously. Today I just managed to keep form learned self-defense... luckily. If I had done as trained he had crushed backwards in a table next to the window.

Besides, this guy already got a warning last semester cause he, in his overwhelming wisdom, threw pieces of solid carbondioxide (better known as dry-ice) in? behind? a woman's neckline. When I tell it's most likely to be his last day at uni (ok, I wouldn't mind him being kicked out), I just don't want to be marked as someone better to stay away from.