1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meeting people / online dating sites

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by WhatLiesAhead, Apr 3, 2012.

1. WhatLiesAhead

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What are peoples' views on them? Has anyone had any success finding people (linterested in a real relationship, not just a hookup) on sites like **********, etc...?

2. Countervail

I believe that you will find a partner online but I dont think that it would work out.

3. insidehappy

well i think you have to go to a reputable site that focuses on long term relationships. since we cannot name sites on here i will hold my opinion on which ones seem good. in general i can say that website are really like clubs and bars. you are going to meet some really cool people, some poeple that just want to have sex, some people that say they want one thing and then actually want another thing entirely different and some peopel that may want just want you want. sometimes there is a bait and switch situation on website where people post pictures that are actually not them or may "look" like them but aren't really them and thy are hoping that you change your mind when you meet them.

in general: talk on teh phone first, chat a bit before meeting to see if the person have a good vibe, skype if you can to be sure its them and meet in a public place if you do decide to meet. also be clear about what you want on your profile and stick to your guns on your non negoitables.

the one thing that seems common is that everyone is saying the same thing "i do not knwo where else to meet people so i tried this."

4. nicecoolguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The ironic thing is I've had more luck on one site that wasn't an official dating site than all the ones I used that were combined. I've found all of my dates online, but that's just the way things happened I guess. It was convenient, easy, and really allowed me to pinpoint what I was seeking. I am very LTR oriented so it was nice to find others who were as well. Unfortunately, the good matches I did find all either had someone else in mind, or were too "busy," an all too common excuse I've encountered. Anyway, I've started stepping away from the online thing. It has its benefits, but at least in person someone will respond to you and talk to you, at least they should as long as you're respectful, whereas online you can send a message and get nothing back. One thing I might suggest is looking for interest groups and hanging out with the people in them. I started doing that a while ago and got away from it but I'm getting back into it now.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My knowledge only extends to gay men. I think it's probably different for lesbians. But the people I know that have found relationships online have mostly done so through Facebook or (in it's day) Myspace. The "dating" sites, while they can have some good people there for the right reasons, seem to have an overwhelming number of people who claim they want relationships but really are only after hookups. And the hookup sites... well, based on what I've heard from my various friends, they are about as successful as finding Mr. Right in a bar or club... in other words, not likely.

It takes time, patience, and a bit of a thick skin, but I think you'll be surprised, as you meet people, that it often isn't quite as hard as you think. :slight_smile:

6. lots of people say it cant work... but it can :slight_smile:
    i was in a relationship for a year near enough, with a girl i met online.

you just have to be careful about it all though.

7. Zapha

In the end a profile is just something that people construct - it's artificial - people show you want they want you to see. They'll choose their most attractive photos (even if it doesn't look anything like them!?), and they'll say all their positive points, but in the end you don't really know that person until you meet them in the flesh. For me, I think that's where online dating has failed. When you meet someone at a bar, you can immediately see if there's any attraction - is he funny, is he good looking, does he have nice eyes, do we have anything in common?

It's like making friends in real life - when you click with someone, it's almost immediate - you can tell when you're going to get along with someone. You don't have that same freedom through a computer screen!

It is possible to have a LTR from online dating websites... but I've found there's more failures than successes :frowning2:

8. insidehappy

^^^^^

THIS WAS SOOOO RIGHT. online is so backwards to me. all this back and forth with someone that after all that, you meet them and you're either not attracted to them, they they weird energy or they were lying about what they wanted in their profile. like the person said about when you meet someone in real life, it's instant. you either like them or you dont. you either say "wow, this would be a good friend and we vibe " or you say, "this is someone i would not want to ever hang out with in life" and you avoid that person. for me online has sucked and has never worked out. if you just want a net whore, its great for that (haven't tried any net sex) but that's all they typically want anyway once you cut through their bullsh*t. anything else you're really kidding yourself.

9. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I met my current bf on a dating site, and we've been together for a little while now, plus my dad met his current wife on one and they've been married for eight years, so I guess I can say it works out. :slight_smile:

In the end it's just another way to meet people. It has its own benefits (easy way to get in touch, don't have to worry if they're gay or not, etc etc), and its own drawbacks (easy to meet the kind of people you don't want to, easy to confuse online flirting with in-person compatibility, awkward point when you want both of you off the dating site and don't know how to bring that up). So as long as you don't idealize the situation ("this person's profile looks PERFECT for me!") and treat it like any other dating, you can be fine.

I could recommend a few things (look for one that promotes actual dating and relationships as opposed to a meat market, go for ones that require people to pay a monthly fee instead of ones that are free), but really it all comes down to personal preference. Figure out what kinds of people are on different sites and decide which types you want to be meeting.

10. SFSorrow

I know 8 people (including myself) in my circle of friends who have used online dating sites, and of those 5 of them are now in relationships that have lasted and which seem as solid as anybody elses, so it definitely can work.

Although unfortunately it hasn't for me yet.

11. socalguitarguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've just started using a couple of online dating sites over the past few months. I had never gone out with guys before and am only out to a couple of people, so it was a great way to get out there and get some dating experience. At least one of the guys I've gone out with I really liked (I've dated five so far) and made it as far as Date # 3 with. Unfortunately he wanted someone with more experience. However, he and another guy I've clicked with pretty well have expressed interest in being friends so it's not a total loss. Overall I think the sites are a mixed bag but I'd definitely recommend them to those in my situation who are looking to get out and meet people.