1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

this is going to ruin the most important friendships I have... :(

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Caoimhe Fayre, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Caoimhe Fayre

so, back about five years ago when I became Catholic, I made friends with some religious sisters. they are the most beautiful people I know, seriously. and I could never fault them for being exactly what they are, what I love them for being: conservative, traditional Catholic religious sisters who believe ALL that the Church teaches.

I usually call them when I am having a rough time, and one of the sisters in particular is always there for me. she's always encouraged me and supported me in my journey with Courage, and whenever I started to fall away or doubt she'd help me find my way back.

but now the problem is that I don't want to return to Courage anymore. I won't keep doing that to myself.

but honestly I have never lied to her and I know around Easter we will likely end up talking, and she'll get a promise from me by the end of the conversation to read a book or pray a little longer or something... and I'll hate myself for promising it, it'll be a betrayal of me, but I'll probably do it.

she e-mailed me today to let me know she's praying for me, and I just feel so bad right now because I know that come Easter, she's going to be so disappointed when we actually talk and she realizes that I'm no longer trying to follow Church teaching as regards homosexuality.

I just don't know what's going to happen. I wish so badly I could be straight right now. I'd trade anything. life would be so much easier. why can I just pretend until it's real? :frowning2: I know it's stupid to want, but I want it. I want to be the good Catholic girl who would make an awesome religious sister who could make the sisters who are always praying for me proud of me.

2. BajanBoy13

Are you sure that they wont accept you as gay? We are in the 21st century,that has to count for something.

3. Pain

Pain Guest

Remember what you say in your signature. If you're as good friends like you say, than even the religious aspect of your friendship shouldn't be affected. So you might have a different view on this one point. Take their faith as examples-- you know who you are, so follow it like a faith.

4. Jim1454

There's no point in lying or being dishonest, and there's no point in committing to doing something that you don't want to do and won't do you any good.

I'd say either plan to be blunt and honest or plan on not going to see her.

Have you considered attending other denominations? The United Church is accepting of gays and lesbians, as is the Anglican Church. If you're comfortable in the Catholic Church - Anglican is very similar I'm told. So do yourself a favour and go to one of these other churches some Sunday and give them a try.

If you're in the Toronto area and want a church that is extremely accepting - try out the Metropolican Community Church (MCC), which is lead by Rev. Hawkes. He's the minister that spoke at Jack Layton's funeral. I thought he was wonderful on that occassion and I know of people who attend and love it there.

Being gay and having a relationship with God are not mutually exclusive. It's just some religious denominations like to think they are.

5. Caoimhe Fayre

QueVidaLaMia, I hope you're right... I'm really stressing about when I'll next end up talking with them, how disappointed they're going to be that I've quit Courage and started going to PFLAG meetings instead.

I'm not strong enough yet to face disappointment from the closest of my friends. I know they'll still care about me, and love me anyways, though they'll also definitely start storming heaven with prayers for my return to Church teaching, but I hope they'll continue to talk with me and visit me and be happy to see me when such occasions arise.

they'll probably not invite me on their retreats anymore though, since those are meant to be catechetical (teaching the faith) for young people and I'm not exactly an example anymore...

it's the 21st century but it's also the Catholic Church, so I'm not certain at all. if it was just a matter of switching churches that wouldn't be such a big deal, but there's all these strong friendships that I am not ready to lose. almost all of my community comes from my Church, or from the arts crowd. the arts crowd is obviously supportive of me, but my Church... some people are supportive, and many are not.

---------- Post added 4th Apr 2012 at 07:07 AM ----------

Jim
    I didn't see your reply while I was typing mine. I wish I lived in Toronto, or I'm starting to wish it more and more every day. I might be trying another one Church soon in my hometown but it really feels like it's turning my world inside out.

in all honesty I probably will end up promising to read a book she suggests might change my mind ... not because it'll do me any good but because it'll keep the friendship going. but maybe I won't. maybe I'll be stronger by the time I get to talk to her.

I don't know. I have a lot of friends, and I tell a lot of people a lot of things, but there's not even a dozen people that I strongly trust and whose friendships I rely on, and it feels like a lot of those friendships are now in danger of being ripped away from me - or at least irrevocably changed - and all because I'm finally admitting that I don't get to choose my orientation and no amount of prayer or counseling is going to change that.

6. Pain

Pain Guest

Maybe you could even wait until you're ready before you say anything. And when you are, mention how important your friendships are and how painful it would be losing such amazing friends and guides. It might be wrong of me, but I've become able to manipulate friend's emotions with what words I choose.. able to approach almost any subject. That's one of the only ways I could have come out to some people I did-- people I thought would hate me for the rest of our time together. Your situation is really delicate; you have to do it with the utmost precision, if you choose to tell them at all

7. JRNagoya

Have you thought about either starting or joining a ministry of gay Catholics? You have a very powerful and personal story to tell. It's also one that has not ended. Your testimony can be just what other closeted Catholics and other Christians need to hear right now. As gay Christians, we are so very keen on beating ourselves up over our faith and our orientation. I know you probably don't feel that strong yet to stand on your own as an independent, fully out lesbian, but we never know our true strength until we are tested. I've longed been amazed by the secret, silent strength that women have. By removing yourself from the Courage program, you're starting to show yours. You can be a source of inspiration for many others. I know it sounds like a lot and certainly a bit overwhelming, but we're all here for you. Stay strong.

8. Jim1454

I guess I was coming from the perspective that you only joined the Catholic church 5 years ago. You were 19. And you've made some really good friends.

Who's to say that if you were to attend the Anglican church in your home town that you wouldn't make some even better friends? Better because you'd get to be exactly who you are, and they'd (presumably) accept you exactly as you are.

(I say presumably because while the Presbyterian Church isn't as supportive, it's supposed to be more supportive than the one I attended. When I came out I was asked to resign as Treasurer. Other leaders in the Presbyterian church, when they heard this, were outraged. So it depends on the minister and the congregation I guess.)

9. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

As per my own struggle with admitting to a friend that I have a crush on him (which took me about a month to come to terms with), I'm not here to judge your situation.

I told him what I needed to, and he reacted in an extremely non judgemental, compassionate way. If anything I feel like an idiot for thinking he would have reacted poorly.

If this has been 5 years, chances are they already know. If you think they do not know, tell them. If they truly love you and want to be a part of your life, they will accept you.

The people who truly love you will stay with you after you 'come out'.

10. Caoimhe Fayre

I suppose I could look into other church communities. but that isn't necessarily going to save any of the friendships that I'm worried about losing. if I were to move to another city, I might give more consideration to another church.

I will probably try to put off talking to the sisters for a while, and once I do talk to them, hopefully there will be people around me afterwards who can support me in doing what's right and sane for me. I know in my head that it will probably be fine, that I'll get through this. doesn't stop me from being scared though. lol.

11. Jim1454

No - it isn't. But these friendships that you're worried about losing seem to be causing you stress. That's not what a good friendship is supposed to be about. If you're really just good friends then you should be able to say "Let's just agree to disagree on this one and leave it alone." so that the topic of your orientation doesn't come up. There must be other things for you to talk about.

But if your sister friends can't let it drop because they're 'hell bent' on "saving" you then I'm not really sure they're your friends in a true sense of the word.

12. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

For years I had a good friend that was very devote to the Penecostal (whatever that means) church. We were good friends. We worked together, hung out all the time, had many similar interests, and on a few occasions told one another we loved each other. It was great.
    He was straight and with a girlfriend (but she was a whack job) and I was openly gay, and we promised that we would understand and care for one another regardless of our belief system.

However, every now and then, he would say something utterly ignorant, or ask a question that I felt was inappropriate, and I'm a pretty open minded guy. One lovely summers day, we were working together and we got on a silly religious themed discussion. Basically at the end of it he said that while he loves me for who I am, BUT if I ever decide I want to change, be straight, go to church and try something different, to let him know.

To me, that basically says, "well I like you, but I can also improve you, as per my religious beliefs". To which I replied "if you ever want to try sleeping with a dude, loving a man and have an amazing orgasm caused by prostate stimulation, you let me know", we never had that discussion again. Over time, our friendship kind of fell away, simply because after that, I started noticing the other ignorant, one sided things he said and did, and eventually the gloss of our friendship wore off.

Why don't you look into 'non church' communities for some friendships, new faces and fresh ideas.

Agnostic and Atheist people are in every bit as kind, compassionate, loving and well adjusted as every other person in the world, and usually lack the stringent, archaic, tired old attitudes towards gays and lesbians as those who devote themselves to Western organized religions.

Just a thought.

#13 ArcherySet, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2012