1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Opinions on this letter to a friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 1ConfusedGuy, Apr 3, 2012.

1. 1ConfusedGuy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have posted before about my crush for my best friend. I believe I am ready to tell him how I feel, and I decided the best way to do it would be via a letter. I wrote this to him, and I was hoping that somebody could tell me how it looks and let me know if theres something I should change, add, remove, etc.

2. October

Wow. Kudos to you for have the guts to write this. To me I think writing your thoughts down in a letter like is a mature way of explaining your emotions. This way you can organize everything and you don't risk saying anything that you might later regret.

I think you explained things really well. This guy should feel flattered :wink: The way you ended it with something casual and that makes it obvious that you want him to feel comfortable spending time together.

I hope everything works out okay:slight_smile:

(Bottom of the fourth paragraph I think that is supposed to be 'felt' not 'feet'.)

3. 1ConfusedGuy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks. :slight_smile: Now the hardest part: giving it to him. I figure I'll slide it in his car or something while he's at work, or drop it off at his house.

And yes, I meant 'feel', not 'feet'. Thanks Microsoft Word Autocorrect. :rolle:

4. October

Yeah I wouldn't give it to him in person that way you don't have to stand there awkwardly while he reads it. Plus he can read it multiple times and who knows, maybe he'll come around :wink:

5. insidehappy

i hope this works out for you. it sounds as though you need some closure from him and just to get off your chest how much you really like the guy. he should feel flattered and in a perfect world he would feel teh same way about you. i wish someone i was into would write me something like this.

if its closure you need, then this will certainly help you get it. he has told you he did not see you like that and he has also told another friend that he did not see you like that. so im just wondering if you think that he has or will change his mind. crushes really hurt because one person likes the other person and the other person doesn't like them back the same way. sometimes we think we can change their thoughts but we can't. so just know that if he isn't into you like that, its not anything against you, but he just sees you as a friend. i wish you well.

the only thing is that when someone has vocalized they do not liek you like that and you keep asking or trying to make it work, it puts them in a werid position because as your friend they like you and dont want to hurt you but they know that everytime you spend time with them you're still secretly crushing on them so it can make someone back away from you. not because you are a pest or that they do not liek you, they just dont want to hurt you or send you mixed messages. so the letter could make him spend less time with you or back away a bit. however, in the end of the letter you basially say you still wanna be friend but just needed to get it off your chest. so he should be ok.

#5 insidehappy, Apr 4, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  6. Waffles

I teared up a little... :')
    This is beautiful, and now you just need to give it to him.
    Either give it to him directly, or leave it in plain site for him (at his house maybe?)

Good luck bro!

7. stupidIvan

That was a gorgeous letter, I felt your emotions very clearly in it! All you have to do now is find a way to give it to him! I'm not even half as brave as you, so I would probably just try to slip it somewhere where he, and only he, would find it.

Good luck, and I wish nothing but the best for you and your friendships (or possibly more?)!

8. 1ConfusedGuy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was thinking about it at work and there were some things I left out, so this this is what I have now. I'm afraid to give it to him, but I'm going to have to convince myself to do it sometime this week. I'll probably go up to his work and slip it into his car, or even think about giving it to him on Tuesday when I go back to work from my lunch with him together. Any ideas of the best way to do that?

9. Brenny

This is perfectly written! I can't think of a better way. The best thing is to leave it somewhere he will find it. . . You don't want to be around when he gets it or reads it. Everything is written clearly and honestly. Any guy that great would appreciate the honesty and the guts it takes to do what you are doing.

10. 1ConfusedGuy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the kind words everybody. I'm ready to give it to him, but I'm just so afraid of him rejecting me as a friend if he thinks it's weird. I know him quite well, and I don't think he'd avoid me for this, but I can't be 100% sure.

11. insidehappy

can't you give it to him and tell him to read it later? i'm not sure i would leave something like this that's so private just laying around where he may or may not get it or read it, then you will be wondering "did he get it, did someone else read it by mistake?" after handing out with him just give it to him and tell him to read it later and then you get the heck outta there. unless you have the keys to his car, not sure how you are going to leave it in his car. personally i would give it to him right before i had to leave to go home or something . that way, i would know he had it, i would know he read it, and i would not have to sit there or be around him while he read it.

12. 1ConfusedGuy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I could do that too. We have lunch together on Tuesday, and I could give it to him as I am leaving to back to work.

I do have access to his car. He usually leaves it unlocked, and if not, I can tell him I left something in there from last time we hung out, and ask for his keys to check for it. If I wanted to be secretive, I could go to his house (1/2 mile from where he works) and get the spare key and put it in and he'd never know. (I'm welcome to come and go there pretty much, so I can walk in, grab the key, and leave no problem.)

I want to give it to him sometime before Tuesday preferably though, since that might be the last time we have lunch together (his school schedule is changing, so that might not be possible anymore) and I'd like to be able to talk to him about this then, if he decides to still go. This way I know if he's ok or not.

I'm just unsure of how I want to give it to him, really.

13. Brenny

I don't really think it matters how he gets it. As long as he gets it and you give him privacy to read it on his own, it will be fine. I understand your nervousness. But really, a good friend like that wouldn't stop being a friend just because you have feelings for him. Odds are, he will understand where you are coming from. And if things go in your favor, it could end up much better!

14. 1ConfusedGuy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks. I hope it goes over well too :slight_smile:

Now if only this would play as he read it. I'm addicted to this song right now.

Snow Patrol - Just Say Yes - YouTube

Pretty fitting to the situation. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. 1ConfusedGuy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did it.

I went after work yesterday and went up to see him at work. He seemed confused, and asked why i went all the way up there. It was my brothers birthday yesterday, so I had to try and find something for him, and my friend works next to a huge Outlet Mall kind of thing, and I figured I could get my brother a whole bunch of cheap shirts from Rue 21, since he likes to shop there.

So I told him that and he asked why I didn't go to the countless malls by my house, and I just told him I wanted a little drive and thought it'd be cool to visit him at work too. So I ordered some dinner and wate. Afterwards, I told him I'd see him tomorrow and left. I pulled my car next to his, and waited till his manager went inside, so she didn't tell him some big tall guy was breaking into his car. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: So I slipped it into his car and put it on the seat, and got back in my car, and thought, "Should I do this?". I thought about it for at least 10 minutes, and started my car and left. I was so scared.

I got home, and I waited. He got off work at 10, and it was now 10:30 and I haven't heard anything. I felt like crawling up into a ball and hiding under a rock. I was so scared. As I waited, every text I got my heart stopped. None were from him though. I opened up my laptop and started typing on here what had happened so far, and then I got a text from him, and I nearly died before I could open it I was so worried.

I read it.

"I just want to say our friendship is not over. Everything is 100% fine. Things will be weird and that's not going to change, no matter what happens. I accept that. I need time to process and I'm gonna make it awkward and talk about it on the way to the junkyard. Just going to put this out as a precursor: I want to be friends."

I was so relieved. I texted back, and we're still on for today to go to the junkyard, so we'll see what happens.

I'm afraid that, even though he says it's ok, that we're going to grow apart. This part just makes me want to cry. "Things will be weird and that's not going to change, no matter what happens." I'm not even upset that he doesn't want to go out with me, but that it's going to be weird now, and I don;t think it should. I liked him whether I wrote that letter or not, and I'm still going to like him either way, but I'll get over it. I can move on.

I'll post more later tonight when I get home about what happens. Thank your guys for the support. I wouldn't have done this without the encouragement you have given me. Hopefully it doesn't end up splitting us up, even though he says it won't.

16. true2self

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This post popped up as a "suggested" post or whatever on the bottom of the page. Read through all of it. NOW I'm curious to know what happened!! Are you both still friends? Are you more than friends??

17. Phoenixaaa

I want to know too