1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight Guy Friends

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Geist, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Geist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    After months of coming out to friends and family members i have finally decided that i am ready to come out completely. :eusa_danc However i still have to come out to two other close friends before i can let everyone else know. These guys have been my friends for years and while they have had their homophobic moments they are generaly good guys and have never really shown hate, but i am still really nervious to tell them because they would be the first straight guy friends that i have told and i am not really sure how straight guys usually react when one of there friends come out of the closet. So if there is anyone here who has some experience on how i should go about doing it or what to expect i would really appreciate it. :help:

2. JSG

JSG Guest

Well, my friends took it pretty well, I never got the chance to tell the tho, someone outed me.
    They're still my very close friends.

My best friend I thought was homophobic because of his constant 'Damn faggots, bla bla bla' I was nervous.
    My then lover 'broke up' with me while I was at work and he happened to be there with me. I wasn't out yet and very straight acting, he couldn't believe his eye when he saw me crying. It was very hard for me to tell him what was going on because I also happend to have a girlfriend and he is very close friends with her too.
    Despite all my nervousness, he took it pretty well, we both ended up confessing our deepest secrets to each other and now we're closer than ever.

The last evening I spent in france, just before the holidays, I brought him to a gay-friendly bar and I caught him kissing the bartender !! :eek:
    I think the homophobic act was for covering up his bisexuality, he hasn't come out yet, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I've moved into an appartement in a place full of crime and drugs, all the kids there are street thugs. I was out to everyone, they were all cool with it, I was very surprised. I didn't even know them, they're the kind of guys that will def mug you in the street, but they accepted me, liked me and even joked about it, in a nice way.

I guess France is just very accepting.

Good luck on coming out to your friends (*hug*) everything should be fine.

3. SpikySpice

Well, it depends on people, but it's a good thign taht you are friedn with them for years, because the long friendship can support you

I almost came out to my straight friend, we were only knownm each otehr for over a yera and he was like "what? no dont tell me that man' i guess cuz our friendship was not logn enough I think

You have to expect on any outcomes, good or bad, just be ready to face them, if it's a good outcome, good for you, but if it's bad,. pat yoru back , be proud, cuz you are brave

So take time k

4. lucifer32

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I accidently outed myself lol

I got a "bit" drunk at a hallowen party and made out with this guy for like an hour
    It felt so liberating though to finally have it off my chest!
    Unfortunatly it caused a scandal in my sixth form lol but no one really seemed to care about me being gay

Now all my straight friends tease me by flirting with me it gets annoying lol
    I have to admit though i feel better than before it happened.
    I only had one friend that cared and i still deliberatly come on to him for laughs :lol:

5. SkyTears

It really depends on the person themselves. Everyone will react different. I have one friend who I know doesn't wantto lose our friendship but always avoids the subject. Another friend who hasnt changed one single bit and another whom hasn't stopped flurting with me (I'm like 95% sure he is staight though.)

6. RuralMedAU

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am going through the same thing plus I kinda have a crush on the guy and Im getting mixed signals from him

7. chrisb

If there real friends they will accept you mine did and i still hold all of them pretty close as friends still....

8. Gustav

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was in the same situation. After telling several people I could trust, I wanted to tell my straight guy friends. I too was nervous about telling them, being at many sleep overs with them and in swim class together, but I just "kicked myself in the arse" and told them all at lunch one day. At first they were displeased, but they soon turned around. It may take time for them to accept you.

9. Scottish17

id end up liking mine if he was hot

10. Alex89

I thought my best friend was homophobic, because he would regularly call people "cocksuckers" or "faggots" when playing games online, and used "gay" as an insult often.

I came out to him, and he was absolutely fine with it! The next night he came out to me as bi. =O

I've asked him about why he uses those particular insults and he says he never really thinks of the meaning behind them, he's just gotten used to using them.

If your friends do turn out to be a bit homophobic when you come out to them, just be prepared to correct the stereotypes they'll usually have about gay people.

11. Wired106

I seriously don't know how to do it. I've been reading what everyone has had to say on this forum and I tried coming out to my best friend who im like obssessed with but I don't want him getting mad or whatever. Also I'm like 95% positive that both my parents would be fine with it and theyd support me 100% but idk, I don't really feel like telling them right now at least. I want to be able to tell my friends though and them be ok with it but I just have a feeling they won't be ok because the minute one says something then it starts like a chain reaction and they might all like ditch me but i'm not really sure. I've like over thought all of this a million times...

12. emerald

I went through this with my straight girl friends. I was dying to tell them but I couldn't being myself to do it after all the time I had spent at their house, gym class, etc. But the friend I wanted to tell the most, she actually asked about it, saying she and the others had known for ages. And, like what a few others have said, she ended up coming out as bi afterward too.
    So they might already know. I would just tell them, if you've began to come out to others anyway. It might take them some time, but they'll be cool with it if they're your friends.