1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on coming out to parents anyone?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by fireworks, Apr 5, 2012.

1. fireworks

fireworks Guest

Well, I'm not going there just yet, but it would be helpful to hear what you guys have to say:wink:

Anyway, my dad's pretty cool so I don't worry about him. My mum used to be homophobic but now she is kinda... indifferent. I just don't wanna give her a heart attack, coz im one of those people you never expect to be lesbian, I guess...>.<

So how can I tell her... gently?
    She's a muslim, but not devout, so I don't think religiously she will be too concerned.

thankyouu v. v. muchly:slight_smile:

2. Marlowe

Sadly, no matter what you say, the bottom line is that you will telling your mom, I am lesbian. I think that the best thing you can do is to be as open and honest about how you feel, and why you are this way. Be patient and understanding. If your parents don't come around immediately, my parents certainly didn't and maybe still haven't, the best thing is time. This is can be a very shocking revelation. Your parents have dreams for you. Even if they are not realistic anymore, they still are real for your parents, and your parents have to come to terms with this. It also may be a surprising because your parents probably think they know you well, but this goes to show that there is a whole side to your life that they do not. Time is the only thing that has helped my parents. I must admit that I was not very good at waiting and I really tried to force the issue with my parents and nothing good came out of that.

As for how to tell her gently, I think a letter might be helpful because it gives her space to react before responding. I also think it is important to high light how this makes you feel better, and how you have not changed. The best thing you can do is to anticipate your mom's concerns and try to address then as best you can.

Best of luck. I hope it goes well, and know that even if it does not, I have rarely seen a story where people consider at least one parent to be open where time has not been the great healer.

3. fireworks

fireworks Guest

thank you so much for the advice! *cyber hugs*

4. Abayomi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Mhm! This is really good advice. I never thought of writing a letter, sounds like it would be a good way.

One thing I would add is the question of why you want to come out to your parents. Is it because you want to become closer to them and let them into your life more? Maybe you feel suffocated, always having to put on an act in your own home? Whatever it is, sharing this with your parents might help them to understand where you're coming from even more.

If your mom is indifferent towards the lgbt community, and your dad won't react badly, I don't think there's much harm in letting them know sooner rather than later :slight_smile: Good luck.

AND MAY THE ODDS BE EVER IN YOUR FAVOUR!

Oh god... Can't believe I said that...