1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you know?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by super confused, Apr 6, 2012.

1. super confused

So, I have told four people (sort of five) about my sexual orientation. The question I have gotten from them all is: How do you know? or, the other variation is: Are you sure?

Well, obviously I'm sure, or I wouldn't have told you.

But the question: How do you know? Is eating at me and making me doubt myself enough that I'm not going to tell anyone else until I can answer that question with confidence. How I have been answering it is: I just know. Or: How do you know you're straight? I think that these (especially the second one) are sound answers, but they don't seem to satisfy anyone. I don't see why I have to justify being gay. I don't ask other people to justify being straight. How can I answer these questions in a way that will get people to stop asking them? What can I do to convince them that I'm not going to change my mind? Also, any tips for not losing my temper? I usually have a long fuse, but for this sort of thing, not so much.
    :angry:

2. Pain

Pain Guest

You don't have to justify your sexual preference. Your answers were right-- and were honestly what I was thinking before I got to that part, verbatim. They can't comprehend your being gay, so they feel the need to ask you why. They want some closure, and that's all you can give them.

3. DhammaGamer

There is nothing to know. You are what you are. That's like asking, how do you know you're right handed? Because I right with my right hand. How do you know you are attracted to other girls? Because I'm attracted to other girls. lol not too complicated

4. 11 11 11

Yeah Dhamma, but how do you know that?

I've been struggling with this too OP, though perhaps for different reasons.

While it's easy to say "I'm 6 foot tall. I know it. People see it, I see it when I stand up against a height chart." it's more difficult to have similar certainty about something that no-one can see, and that you might only have just recognised in yourself.

Of course it's not complicated for you Dhamma, you're not doubting those things. But It would seem the the OP is doubting some of the things that she's learning about herself.

I guess this post is more a question really than an answer, but I agree with the OP. How does one know anything about oneself? Do we all have to wait until that magical morning when we wake up and just feel like we're a bisexual, anarchist, given the holy duty of Lord Nelson's ghost to fight against the evil oppression of carpet salesmen?

Or is there a way to systematically validate what you think you might know?

5. Vesper

Next time, ask them how they know they're straight, and they'll probably say, "duh, it's because I like the opposite sex". Then ask them what they think led you to believe that you're gay.

Just like it is with science, one can never be 100% positive about anything. Most, if not all, of us will have some lingering doubts, but even so, if 95% of the observations point to "gay", then it's pretty safe to say that you are. Whatever the case may be, you're always 100% yourself, and no one can put a label on that.

6. Bix

Bix

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know because when I look at guys, something in my brain goes "oh he's attractive". I don't get that feeling when looking at girls. I've found plenty of girls cute, but not in a sexual way. Never the feeling that I want to have sex with them or am interested in what's under their clothes.

7. PurpleCrab

Answer: Because if you were in my mind, seeing through my eyes, you would just KNOW too. It would be obvious.

That would be the quick, easy answer.
    More deeply though, and I'm going to talk just about my personal experience, I've learned that keeping an open mind resolves a whole lot of bugging recurring questions. It's completely closing the door to other possibilities that makes an issue.
    What I mean is:

I've been straight as long as I could remember. It was that obvious to me: I was so attracted by women and so repelled by men that the question didn't need asked. Yet, being transgendered, I was very close to gay communities at some point that this Are you sure? thing bugged me too, to some level (even if my answer came rather quick it's inside I was bothered). I had to wonder what made me straight like that? And what exactly is a woman, what exactly is a man, where is the limit where I become completely turned off by a person even though I love their personality? It's rather complicated.
    I then found this answer: 99,9% of the people I can be attracted to are women because of some features they have that are completely feminine.
    By opening the door even a tiny bit to other possibilities (I can be attracted by SOME men even though it's not probable, if circumstances are right) it freed me of that problem. I don't feel like I have to verify I fit in the Straight mold anymore.

However, how you feel and what you tell to people don't have to be the same thing :wink: Though if you're a bit like me, if how you feel is solved, your problem will be solved too no matter what you tell people.