1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nervous to come out...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sevinup07, Apr 7, 2012.

1. sevinup07

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So I only recently accepted the fact that I'm bisexual. I haven't even given the thought to anyone I know, except a few people who always thought I'd be gay since I don't have much luck with girls. Guess they were right! I feel so much happier admitting this to myself, but I'm dying to tell someone. Most of my friends are pretty accepting and I have other gay/bi friends, but I need to tell someone close to me. My best friend (male) is ok with some gay people, but overall he gets a little uncomfortable about it. He's chill with it, but it makes him have trouble getting close to them. I'm afraid to tell him, because even though he might act chill with it I feel he won't want to be around me as much.

His girlfriend is also one of my best friends, and I'm considering telling her. I trust her, and I know she'd be the perfect one to talk to, but I'm still nervous somehow my friend will find out. I just don't know if I want to go for it or not, but I need to tell someone. If I knew all my friends would act the same, I would shout it to the world. What makes it worth the risk to you?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you'll be really surprised with your friend. My best friend (first person I told) was also a little uncomfortable with gay people... and when I told him, for a few days, he was a little uncomfortable... but then he realized it was *me* and not an acquaintance of his, and he ended up being totally fine with it. I think the same will happen with you and your friend... the friendship will mean more to him than his discomfort.

3. sevinup07

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That's exactly what I was hoping, that maybe if it's someone he's with everyday he wouldn't just be ok with it but probably more comfortable with gay people in general. I don't think I'm quite ready to directly tell him, but I'm going to tell said female friend, and one of my more close male bi friends. I think that will put me on a good comfort level with it, maybe enough to tell all my close friends.

4. provehito

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey! If you do not feel comfortable yet to share, then dont!

I came out to a homophobic best friend and much like Chip said... I was amazed by her reaction. At first there was some denial but by the time I was done she came to the realization that my sexuality did not define me as a person and I was still the same guy she had learned to rely on. Friends tend to be accepting. But if you do not feel comfortable enough to confess, then dont.

Just throwing my two cents...

5. TheAMan

If there's one thing I've learned about being bisexual is never tell anyone unless you trust them completely and you're 100% confident in yourself.

6. sevinup07

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    What makes you say that, have you lost friends due to telling them? Other than my close friends, I don't give a damn who else knows.