1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ShadowDragon, Apr 7, 2012.

1. ShadowDragon

So I kinda always knew I liked guys.... But I kinda of just ignored those feelings and tossed them to the side.... I have a girlfriend right now and i'm happy with her but i dont find myself wanting to make our relationship go further (aka sexual acts) as it turns me off.... But recently Ive been looking into my gay side and realised I cant hide it any longer.... This is me and i cant stop that anymore.. but this urges really make me want a boyfriend.. I live in a very rural area (about 2000+ people where I live) and dont have any options in guys as most of the people here are homophobes.. My highschool no joke has like 120 kids... I mean I dont even know if we have gay people in my town that are open of course...... Im having a really hard time controlling my urges for guys..... Its really hurting me emotionally..... But the probelm with me is im really naive and shy and pretty much a loner.... I still havent told anyone im bisexual or gay still kinda confused on which..... there is are bigger towns near by but idk where to go or what to do to find a guy... And my girlfriend is telling me she loves me and wants to be together forever.... Im just really stressed and unhappy... *sigh* This is why I hate Montana.. It doesnt help im only 14 also :/... Sorry for this huge rant I just really need help by people who can understand and relate me... I know this is a good website and im happy to of found it... I'd really appreciate any advice or help....

2. TroubledRyan

First off, welcome to EC.

I understand how hard it can be to find gay/bi people who are out, but I think I can say with confidence that there is at last one there. It can be a hard feeling to supress, even in a mostly homophobic community. Even if you find someone who is gay, it doesn't neccasarily mean that you two must date for being the only gay people in your community, but you both can be great moral support for each other. I think you would just have to look alittle more.

Labeling yourself is not as important or manditory right now. As Chip says, it is more like a spectrum - which i agree with compeltly. From the sound of it i would say you lean between bi to gay on the spectrum. Three words can not label someones sexuality - think of it as a percentage.

Lastly I would advise leaving your girlfriend. Her clingynes seems to be hurting you. The longer you wait, the harder it will be. If she actually helps you though, it may be nice to keep her as a friend- if that is possible.

I really do wish the best to you, even if it looks bad now, things will get better. Befor you know it, you will be 18 and be able to make your own decisions as an adult.

3. BajanBoy13

Don't worry your not the only one with this problem :frowning2:

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC!

It's not an uncommon thing, being gay in an area where there simply aren't any other gays. And it's double unfortunate (and all too likely) that where there aren't any other gays, people tend to look down on them. To the people in your town, for the most part, gays are "them". They're a group of people they don't think they interact with, and so it's easy to discount them and talk smack about them.

What should you do? First thing - break up with your girlfriend. It seems clear that, relationship-wise, that's a dead end. So the longer you stick with her, the harder it'll be to break free. You can be honest with her without telling her the whole story. Tell her you do like her, but you just don't feel anything physically for her. You've given it some time to see if something developed, and nothing did. And rather than have her stuck with somebody who doesn't like her like that, you think it'd be more fair to both of you to break up, so you can both find somebody who DOES like you both like that.

Second - and this is the tough one - wait and plan. You're 14 in an area without any (other) gays, so even if the community IS accepting, you don't have a dating pool. So you'll have to work on expanding outwards. Presumably, that'll involve relocating outside that town of yours. I don't know if you're thinking of going to college, or just getting a job out of high school. But either way, start your long-term plan. At that point, the entire world opens up to you. Most people in your situation seem to focus on two options - "the next biggest town over" or "one of the gay meccas". But your choices go beyond Billings or San Francisco. :slight_smile: Most every city of some size has a decent-to-good gay population and dating scene. Just have it in your head that you want to be in a good-sized town, and let other factors weigh your decision. Which school do you think would be a good fit? What places might you be able to afford to live?

The tough part of this is, of course, that that's four years down the road. You're already to the point where you want to start experimenting, and telling a 14-year-old to "wait four years" is like telling a five-year-old in September to "wait until Christmas". :slight_smile: I understand your desire to get going on this front, but honestly, waiting is the best move. Feel free to talk to us here as much as you want, so you can at least have an outlet for discussing your sexuality. And I know a lot of gay guys your age fall into "long-distance online relationships", which can be OK in their way, although they tend to sometimes get awfully squirrelly. Seriously, the smart move is to just plan ahead. So "future you" can take advantage of all the planning that "present you" did. :slight_smile:

Lex

5. ShadowDragon

I just want to thank you all for the help.... I really need some guidance... I really happy I found this website.... Just one thing about my girlfriend is that shes going through a very rough time.. She just got out of a mental hospital.. She was sucidal and molested by one of her friends parents... And I have tried to break it up but its just so hard to when she says I'm the only thing in her life she cares about... Idk if I'm staying with her for self pity or because I care for her....

6. ShadowDragon

I just want to say I came out and told my friends I was gay..... I was never worried of having friends that didnt understand.. just i was afraid to admit i guess.... it was hard but im glad i did... i feel happier and they really care about me... One of my friends said she can even hook me up :slight_smile:... As for my gf i think ill just break up... but ask to be friends still.. its going to hurt me but i dont want us to suffer anymore its not fair...