1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do your parents already know?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Lewis, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Lewis

I've read into this a little, but it'd be nice to hear from people who have actually come out and their parents have known all along. I personally think that my parents know that I'm gay and I even thought I heard them talk about it.

I once woke up (half-asleep) and heard my dad say something around the lines of, 'has he come out...', but I think this was all in my head - it could have been a dream! I have a lot of these half-asleep moments, once my mum was asking about girlfriends and I said, 'I don't want a boyfriend yet!' - awkward!

I was also a little feminine as a child and very confident with it (I'm the complete opposite now!) and it must have been a little obvious. I've seen videos of myself that are very very cringe-worthy!

:confused:

2. fireworks

fireworks Guest

everyone ive told was shocked, my dad included:/ even my gay friend who has an awesome gaydar couldnt tell... i guess i just dont give off 'the vibe'

3. Lewis

xD I don't think that'll be the case for me. I wish they'd just ask me, it would make my life soooo much easier.

4. fireworks

fireworks Guest

haha, same, ikr?? i mean come on at least bring it up in conversation, im dying here!

5. Lewis

I really wish there was some kind of TV commercials that could speak out to and make an impact on parents. The whole situation is just ignored...

The only one I've seen is this:
    Google Chrome: It Gets Better - YouTube

I've never actually seen it shown in the UK, but I think it's a commercial in the US.

6. greeneyes

Everyone was completely shocked. In fact, my mother didn't believe it for a while because she couldn't tell at all the whole time I was growing up.

7. Vesper

I think my mom has always had an inkling, though I don't know about my dad. If he suspects or has suspected anything, he certainly hasn't ever let it on that he does, and he generally doesn't like to talk to me about things that would get either of us upset.

8. timo

I haven't come out to my parents but they've hinted about it in the past - way before I even found out I'm gay.

9. Lewis

A part of me would love to just get it out now - I really need to move on with my life. It just sucks that they'll never ask...

10. TheAMan

I'm not out to my parents yet, but I believe they do suspect. My mom has made some "references" so to speak that really make me wonder what she means.

11. Yeah, my parents know. They weren't really that shocked...

12. RainbowWolfie

I never truly came out to my Mother, or my Aunt.

My Mom came up to me and asked me straight out if I was going out with my girlfriend. Sure I had said I was Bi-Curious before to my Mom, and that I liked my girlfriend, but I think she knew.

:icon_wink

13. Adam

My parents, well nobody, had any idea I was gay until I came out.

14. davaa

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom found out last week . She told me I couldn't stay in the house any longer. so I went to stay with my cousin . My brother came for me and told me he loves me and he'll protect me and brought me back home. it's tough here but I'm learning to be strong. I'm just glad that I can be myself now . That I don't have to pretend to be hetero anymore.

15. Gipsy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm somewhat out, except for the part that I'm transgender. They think I'm a lesbian because of the way I dress, which I'm not...but they pretty much know I'm not straight. :grin:

16. Thoughtsrus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Done in tears to my mom when I was 23. She said she was going to tell my Dad.

I was the one that was the most in shock I have to say.

I think it took them a bit of time to adjust but eventually, it's for the better.

My advice? Come out sooner rather than later so you can move on with your life. Otherwise, you're getting stuck with this big elephant in the room.

17. BajanBoy13

I think they kinda know but just cant put it all together its really annoying -.- They should just ask outright would be so much better.

18. greeneyes

Just because they don't ask doesn't mean they won't be surprised. They might just be respecting you and when you feel most comfortable about it. Regardless, it doesn't really matter whether they already know or not. It's up to you about telling them so you can move on with your life. Best not to guess and just say it.

19. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hell no -- my parents have no clue.

No one that I'm close to has any idea at all.

20. BajanBoy13

I plan on not telling them, once I go away for university that will be it....I hope because we have a very close-nit society that loves to gossip -.-