1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am too shy!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Gustav, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Gustav

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is this guy who sits directly behind me in my lunch period at school who I really like. I am 99.99% sure he is gay, and he is really HOT! Unfortunately, I do not know him. He is a sophomore and I am a senior. I have received signals from him, but no more than eye contact, and I am too afraid to confront him, because I sit at a table with all my strait guy friends:bang: . My friends try to ignore my homosexuality at all costs, so I can not rely on them to help me. I do not want to miss my chance with this guy.
    If anyone has any ideas how I can introduce myself, or even ask the guy out, please let me know.

PS: I do believe he had a crush on me last year during track.

2. Urman

Urman Guest

i know how you feel im very shy also try to talk to him and get to know him make friends with him and then hang out a little.(*hug*) (*hug*)

3. Connor

Connor Guest

If I were you I would feel less intimidated by him because of being older, but if it were the reverse I'd feel much more nervous. That's just me, though. Think of it that way. I think you should just go and hello and ask him how he his, how his day is going etc. Make small talk. If you are 99.9% sure he's gay perhaps you could even ask him to go to a place such as the cinema with you? It doesn't seem too frightening a situation, I doubt you'll get mocked/insulted in way if he also might have had a crush on you last year.

4. Hollywood

i'm a senior in love with a sophomore too...hopefully you situation will turn out better then mine...

try sitting with him one day?

5. Gustav

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am not afraid to be gay, and I can take insults quite well, but I have Crohn's disease. Although it would not affect him, I am afraid it will scare him away if he knew.

6. StudentofSchool

dang this is the exact same situation I went through last year. I dont know How do you get the courage to go up to a guy and ask him out? I still cant do it.

7. s5m1

Start out with some small talk about nothing in particular - the terrible food at lunch, the score from a recent sporting event, the weather, something that may have happened at your school. Just begin talking about something. You do not have to ask him out right away, and I would not recommend it. Next time you see him, say hello and start talking about something else - once again something simple. Just use these basic ideas to start a dialog and take it from there. Once you have spoken with him a bit, see if he wants to go to a movie or to grab a coffee or anything else. Make it something relatively easy. Then, once you start to get to know him, take it from there. You will be nervous at first but remember that the worst that can happen is he will not want to talk to you, or you will find he is not your type. The key is to push yourself to make the first contact. Have a plan in mind for what you are going to say the next time you see him and just go for it. Do not sit there and think about it, because it makes it that much harder to make the first approach. As soon as you see him, within a few seconds, talk to him. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

8. mcrteenagers

Yeh, completely agree with s5m1. Start small.

Walk past and smile and give a little wave (if you're really up for it, wink, that'll send him a clear message). You can at least gauge his reaction - does he smile back?

Next time, go up, and make small talk - s5m1 gave some great pointers.

Anyways, don't let chances passes you by. You don't want to regret not pursuing it later.

Keep us up to speed, and good luck!

9. iPieman

Slip him a piece of paper with your number or IM on it and start talking to each other.

10. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's actually a great suggestion... I've done that before. Well not in high school because we didn't have cell phones and IM then... plus I wasn't out. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmn... sorry to hear that. I don't really see how that would scare away a regular "nice" person, though. Plus I don't think it's something you need to tell him right away.

The last person I started dating was when my mum had cancer and even though I wanted to tell him, I waited a bit to see if we were going anywhere because otherwise what's the point of having such a serious conversation.

Oh and totally ditch your friends at lunch and go talk to him. At least a few times! Because oh my gosh if a senior had been into me when I was sophmore I'd have been in heaven!

#11 joeyconnick, Jan 5, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  12. Gustav

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you sooo much for the advice! the paper idea seems rather unique, I may try it. . .monday when I return to school.

13. stefy18

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    if u want it bad enuf u have 2 go 4 it!

14. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

To me it sounds simple.
    Push you chair back too far and bump his, apologize profusely then just introduce yourself and take it from there with really any casual topic... It gets easier after the first time.
    Its the icebreaker that is key, and what better way than to "nudge" him into conversation. :lol: