1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost a gay friendship =\

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Vietorius, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Vietorius

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello,

Recently I lost a friend because he wanted to take our friendship to a relationship status and I didn't want to.

He asked me online if I wanted to go on a date and I told him I was flattered but was not looking for a relationship right now. In his message me to me he said, "friends is cool too."

However, after a week we had the conversation he deleted me from his friend-list and just left it at that. I am a little frustrated because I don't have many gay friends to begin with because I am out to only a few people (not that I am not proud, it is just I feel awkward to have to tell everyone who I am).

Anyways I am not really sure what to do. We just hung out like 5 times with a group of friends and I never made it seem that I wanted to have a relationship.

2. Koll

Just ask him whats up;

I went through the same thing like 5 days ago; he blocked me out in fear and such.

JC, Why wouldn't you be for a relationship atm?

- Then again, if you've only hung out about 5 times, Are you sure you even made it seem like you wanted a friendship?

3. csm123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi and welcome to ec.

I was wondering if he has avoided you and deleted you from his friends list because he has a major crush going on and really needs to distance himself from you.After your reply had time to sink in he maybe thought it best to move on.

4. Gipsy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    He probably was massively hurt and did it without thinking, he'll probably regret it, maybe give him a week see if he comes back, if he doesn't be straight-forward with him and tell him what's wrong.

5. TheAMan

It's not your fault dude. Just to let you know, you never really have to do anything for someone to really like you. He probably thinks you're really cute.

6. squally89

7. Iamme

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I can sort of relate (but from his point of view) it's difficult to remain friends with someone you are interested in and not be able to be them. Give him some time to "heal/recover" he may just need a break. I wish I could delete mine- I'm one of his bestfriends but he doesn't want a b/f so now I am supposed to be "happy" for him and his girlfriend. Despite the feelings we share for each other and I'm struggling w/ remaining friends--

I hope that helps u some...

8. Vietorius

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a feeling this may be what he is feeling, so I might just give him time. It kills me to not know what he really feels though. I just want to know. I understand if he can't even be friends but I am wondering if it was a impulse action like an above post mentioned.

Only time will tell I guess.

---------- Post added 8th Apr 2012 at 11:23 PM ----------

I just came out of a relationship not too long ago so I feel like I just want to focus on me, work and school.

I also don't date anyone until we reach a friend level first, I like to get to know the person before I make an effort (I guess this is what dates are for but I'm scared to tell people I am not interested after a date because I've wasted their time).

I think it was clear I wanted a friendship because it was a group setting and not once did I flirt with him or anything.

9. Zapha

Love is a fickle thing...

I've been in the same situation before. We'd known each other for 2 or 3 months. I turned him down when he wanted to take it further, and I could tell that I really hurt him. We talked for a week or 2 after but after that he just completely cut ties with me. For some people I guess the pain of rejection is just too much :frowning2:

I agree with giving him time, although you said he deleted you from his friends list. Perhaps he's made his final decision?

Also after rereading this post, I realised that it sounds really depressing, but it wasn't supposed to! Just trying to add another perspective for you :grin:

10. stupidIvan

I'm usually on the other end: I'm that "oops I made a mistake, maybe if I ignore this person it'll go away!" Facebook friend blocker/IM invisble silly-ninny. So I can understand what he's feeeling. He probably feels like either he's: 1. Failed at "reeling you in" so to speak, and feels like the friendship is unsalvagable because of that, or, 2. He feels, and possibly even knows, he made a mistake, and is embarrased of it (like a lot of people have said before me).

Just give him time. If he really finds your friendship meaningful, he'll come back.

11. insidehappy

he probably deleted you because it was too much pain to keep going to your page and looking at your pictures and knowing yiou did not want him.

so just give him his space and leave it alone.

12. fiddlemiddle

fiddlemiddle Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ^^^^
    This