1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scared to tell them... D:

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Waffles, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Waffles

Hi guys.
    So, first off, Happy Easter. :grin:
    SECOND, I have a HUGE dilemma here:
    So I was sitting down at the table and my grandparents were telling me about their trip to florida.
    They went to see a footvolley tourney, and my papa started joking around and telling me hot hot the cheerleaders were. I just smiled and nodded, but it breaks my heart to keep them in the shadows about my sexuality.
    So, 2 questions here...
    1) Should I tell them?
    2) If so, HOW?

2. Gipsy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It really depends on how they react to gays, I would personally, ask them how they feel about gays/gay rights, and if they have a negative reaction to them, then it's best to wait a little. I mean, if they make it pretty obvious that they're homophobic, then I wouldn't really wanna come out. I see you're 16, so I'd probably come out at 18 if that's the case.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Do you have an idea as to how your grandparents would take your coming out to them? If you feel that they are accepting and supportive, maybe the next time you see them, try coming out to them. You could just sit down with them and let them know.

However, if you feel that they might not take it well, or would have a negative reaction, and as Fedimex suggested, give it a bit more time.

4. Thoughtsrus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I told my grandparents with snail mail.

I really couldn't do it face 2 face.

I guess in the end, it's up to everyone of us to measure the possible consequences like you've to leave the house kinda thing.

Do u live with your grandparents or depend on them financially? If not, tell them.

If yes, still, it can be very suffocating not to be able to share your feelings and the earlier you do it, the less consequences they are... for yourself - your self-esteem etc.

Not telling avoid the uncertainty, but if it makes you feel miserable, maybe you should tell them because it's a high price to pay.

5. Waffles

Thanks for the advice so far. :3
    I don't live with them, but I live walking distance to them.
    My grandparents and I have a strong bond, but I don't wanna say anything and screw up my relationship with them. :frowning2:

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! If you have a strong bond with your grandparents, that helps. Another option you would have is to talk to one grandparent first and see how that goes. Do you feel that one grandparent might be more supportive?

Are you out to your parents?