1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mom can't take a hint

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Travel Tech, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Travel Tech

I'm mostly just venting now. I was visiting relatives for Easter this weekend and I wanted to come out to my mom in person, but she was never alone! She was around other people constantly, and I only wanted her to know. I tried to give her hints that I needed to talk to her in private, but she didn't seem to understand. Oh well, when she picks me up at the end of the semester I can talk to her on the car ride.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Sometimes holidays aren't the best times to come out because of all the businesses surrounding a holiday. It sounds like that she didn't realize that you wanted to talk to her.

You will have other opportunities to come out to her. The car ride at the end of the semester is good time. You can also create an opportunity earlier (if you wanted to) by calling her on a weekend or during an evening when she is at home and has some time.

3. Ianthe

Around the car ride would be fine, but maybe not while the car is moving, unless you are the one driving. Just as a general rule, I think it's best not to give people news that might make them very surprised or emotional while they are operating a moving vehicle.

Maybe after the car is packed up, you could say something like, "Mom, before we head out, there's something that's been going on in my life that I want to talk to you about. I thought now would be a good time, because we're alone and I can have your full attention."

Unless your mom is very different from most moms, you will then have her full, undivided attention, and she will intensely want to know what you have to say.

If it's too long to wait, you could think about making a special trip home--or asking her to come visit you.