1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I tell her practicaly everything else- why can't I tell her this?!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mej7, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Mej7

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does any1 have advice on coming out to your grandparents? i wanna come out to my gram,but idk how. And I just know she'll say I'm too young to know, and/or she'll ask me HOW ik. And i hate that. But, i also hate keeping secrets from her, & i don't wanna live a lie [of any sort]. Besides, what happens if i get a gf and still haven't told her- that wouldn't be god at all! Plus, she is always talkin about marraige, kids, and boys! She has know clue that I'm into women too (even more). I should really tell her- the question is how?!
    And, do you think she'd tell any1?idk...

2. IamwhoIam12

I would write her a letter! You can write it exactly the way you would talk to her. In it you can express how you feel and try to answer any questions that she may have. You could even give her the letter in person, wait around for her to read it, then talk to her about it afterward. But the main thing is that the letter would tell the significant things and spur conversation about it.

I would probably write the letter regardless of whether I gave it to her or not. In the least, it could help you organize your thoughts and practice how you would talk to her about it.

I've done the same type of things with close friends of mine. It worked for me! I hope I helped! Good luck!

3. Gipsy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ^ Yeah, write a letter. I wrote one to my parents, make sure it's descriptiveness.

4. Lewis

I agree with the above comments, older generations like an eloquently written letter. Make it clear and not at all ambiguous, let them know that this is you and that there's no gray areas in how you feel.

I wish I could tell my only grandparent, because she frankly wouldn't care, her son is gay too and lived with him and his boyfriend for years. I just can't!

5. Mej7

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    why can't you tell her? im sure it'd be fine!

---------- Post added 9th Apr 2012 at 06:23 PM ----------

Thanks ev1 for the advice! I think i will write her a letter!

6. sevinup07

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I definitely agree with the letter idea, if you have a good relationship with her and you know she is pretty much accepting of different ideas, then go for it.

I'm jealous of your situation, because if any of my grandparents knew, I would be completely shut off. If you have that kind of relationship with her, be honest and cherish your ability to do so. My grandparents would die on the spot even if they found out I had sex with a GIRL before marriage, much less a guy. That's just how old fashioned they are. The only person in my entire family who might understand is my mom, and maybe my cousin and I'm petrified to tell them.

7. Mej7

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @sevinup07 :

I got lucky- my grandparents are pretty young. My grandpa is very much against same-sex marriage, but you are right- I should tell my Gram.

And, you should deffinately tell your mom (and your cousin?).

Thanks for the advice.

Good luck:slight_smile: