1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SO I told my family!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by fatalmoon91, Apr 8, 2012.

1. fatalmoon91

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok so I waited till today to post this because...while I was excited that I finally did it. I was disappointed in myself for how I told my family. I was on facebook and one of my friends posted a blog.

A Teen's Brave Response to "I'm Christian, Unless You're Gay"

this blog to be completely accurate. i dunno why i did but after reading this blog i had a moment where all i wanted was for my family to know that i was gay and be completely out of the closet. so in some blank moment in my mind i wrote an entire blog to my family and friends and anyone else who could possibly find out and i thought needed to know. I wrote this blog and i posted it on facebook and basically just tagged my family in the post. An hour later i realized that by doing this i broke everything i had been saying for the past 3 months. it wasn't that i didnt want my family to know...i just wanted to tell them in person and i had told some of my friends that exact same thing. To me i feel like i came out to my family in a way that was so disconnected it was almost insulting. To make matters worse i went home and visited my parents. Originally my brother and sister weren't going to be there for easter dinner but they both felt the need to come and visit with the family because of my blog. It wasn't that any of them were upset that i was gay. in fact it seemed more like i had never come out but like i had been openly gay around my family for my whole life. It was awesome and better than i had hoped for. The one thing im truly concerned about is my mom. she only mentioned these things once...but she said that she cried when she read the blog because i was the words i used were so sweet. she also said that she was mad at me for not telling her first...I dunno what to do with this. Is it bad, good, some middle ground unable to be found because warheads are exploding around it at all times?

2. Zaio

Zaio Guest

It's very very good.

Your family is clearly supportive, just think about the children who actually get disowned purely for their orientation, and things for you are continuing as normal, a good coming out :slight_smile: well done.

3. cscipio

Agreed with Zaio. It's a nice ending. Thanks for sharing that link as well.

4. fatalmoon91

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i actually meant to put this in the coming out stories and have been too sleep deprived myself to notice that i put it here lol

5. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I know that its probably not the perfect scenario that you imagined your coming out to be, but congrats on having the courage to go for it! :slight_smile:

Keep in mind that coming out is more of a process than a one time thing. While you didn't initiate the process like you had planned, you can still "fix" what you think went wrong. Feel free to tell your mom and family exactly what you told us. Explain them what you felt and why you had to do it through a blog.

As for your mom, the reality is that she is going to have to go through her own process and the only thing we can do is try to help them deal with it better. Try to explain to her why things happened the way it happened, but don't blame yourself for it. With time, she will understand that coming out the way you did was just something that happened and that it has nothing to do with her at all.

Try to enjoy the moment and enjoy whats going on :slight_smile: