1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

so, I'm going to hell?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by October, Apr 9, 2012.

1. October

I've been doing a lot of research online and have studieime d the verses in the Bible that talk about homosexuality and have talked to my really religios friends (they don't know im gay) about the church and homosexuality and honestly I feel like im going to hell. For a long time i knew I was lesbian but for the past six months or so I really feel bi. I like girls and I want to be with one but I am attracted to guys too. Its like a 60/40 thing. Sometimes I feel like I should just act on the 40% because from what I read being gay is against god. Any advice because I don't feel like I "subconsciously chose" to be gay so I don't know if I shoud even try liking guys as much as I like girls. Honesty, I'm pretty scared ...

#1 October, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  2. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
  3. Gipsy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, don't force yourself to like someone of the opposite sex just because the bible said so. For your information, the bible was written by men. If such God discriminated gays/bi's/etc. then we wouldn't have existed. Your friends, whoever is informing you that someone like you is going to hell, are close-minded idiots, no offense. Your friends or most of the church think that being gay/bi is a lifestyle choice, but did you choose to live that way? Nah.

4. DoctorWho

5. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hardly, eatting meat on Friday was once a hell worthy sin.

Look the views in the Bible were written long ago by MEN. If all the stuff in there were a hell going issue NO ONE would go to Heaven.
    including people who:
    have tattos
    shave
    eat shell fish
    work on a Sunday
    wear polyester
    grow two kinds of crops
    breed mules
    hetero-sex without taking a bath
    divorce
    premarital sex
    eatting red meat

So either we need to upgrade our thinking, or Hell is going to explode with too many people

6. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The bible has been both lost in translation from ancient languages, and purposely had its texts, over the centuries, distorted in such a way to "favor" the human prejudices of those translating and interpreting it.

If it ever was, at one point, the "true word" of some omnipotent god, it is no longer so. Men, if that was once the case, have now distorted and tainted those theological dictums.

7. Tiny Catastrophe

Watch the documentary "Fish Out of Water". It goes over the bible verses that people are convinced support that being gay is wrong by experts and pastors and bishops. It's quite interesting how things get misinterpreted.

8. October

I see y'alls point. I live in the south in a family that is not so gay friendly so based on how I grew up its been crammed into my head that being gay is wrong. Im sure you guys can understand how hard it was for me to comeout to myself. I haven't been to church in a while but I was babtized in coc and all that so I would like to get back into it but every church around here doesn't seem to be gay friendly. If I get a girlfriend I want us to be able to go to church together without being shunned and damned. I have tried to pray about it but I don't really think I'm going about it the right way. I distanced myself from religion for the past few years because I was coming to terms with being gay and having someone tell me.its wrong once a week wasn't helping me.

Edit: when I get home I will watch all the videos and check.out that documentary :slight_smile:

9. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

1) The word "abomination," in Leviticus, refers specifically to a secular sin, not a spiritual sin. The ancient Jewish people were clearly against it, but they didn't seem to think it was worse than "really really gross." Furthermore, it always referred explicitly to the act of sodomy, and that does not refer to all possible acts of intimacy between two men, much less two women. What this means is that, if you and your lover have something really really nasty you like to do with each other in bed, that's fine, but that's not something you ought to tell people about. Nobody wants to hear about some things, even if they do it. It doesn't make you evil, though.

2) The claim that "the sin of Sodom" was homosexuality has no grounding whatsoever in the Bible. What it stems from is that some theologians used to think that "know" always refers to a sex act in Genesis, and I think they were trying to do this mainly to try to patch up unrelated holes in their theology. If you were to actually read Genesis literally, you would not find any allusion to homosexual acts.

3) Paul, who wrote several of the epistles, including Corinthians, Romans and Timothy, lived during the same time as Emperor Nero. This isn't widely known, but Romans during the time of Nero had this habit of taking pre-adolescent boys as lovers, called peur delicatus, and often having them castrated to preserve their youthful appearances. It was actually a very cruel practice that was just one more humiliation to go with all the other indignities endured by Roman slaves. Nero himself supposedly had one whose name was Sporus. The Christians hated Nero in general, so it shouldn't be surprising that Paul the Apostle would mention this particular abomination. Oh, and it's not really anything like pederasty: the younger partners in pederasty, which only rarely involved sexual intimacy anyway, were considered by ancient Roman standards to be of age to consent of their own free will, which was about 15 years old, and were usually free, not slaves.

4) Modern, educated Christians actually take a fairly critical view of the Bible, outside of aggravating charismatic sects. Even if the Bible did say something condemnatory about homosexuality, a lot of Christians would wonder whether it really applies to modern times, given the wider context of the Bible.

5) Finally, on the "Hell" issue, there are some Christians who question whether any legitimate part of the Bible even talks about any such thing. The only part of it that clearly refers to what people today see as "Hell" is Revelations, which is considered by many to be at least somewhat apocryphal. If you actually read it, it comes across sounding like the plot of a Spielberg film.

As for myself, I don't actually believe in supernatural forces, and I think that religion viz Christianity employs far too much anthropomorphization. I see anthropomorphization as extremely vain. Therefore, I think that you ought to at least consider the possibility that you, like me and many other people, are simply not suited to Christianity. It's a very personal thing, though, as any GOOD Christian would also tell you.

10. JackSplat

Out Status:
    Some people
    I was brought up in a society that do not condone homosexuality and which is as religous as it can get. Religion is subjective and open to interpretation, it is not set in stone and has been changing as society sees fit for centuries. Just because some sees it as wrong does not mean it is. It isn't!

Please remember there is absolutely nothing wrong with you and you are not going to hell.

11. RainbowWolfie

I had issues with this question as well, since I'm a Christian, and this video really helped me. Thank you.
    Also, to answer your question, watch the above video. It has great information that I think will help you. ^_^

12. Lewis

You're not going to hell. Sorry, but it's about time someone just tells you that you're not. I'm not judgmental against anyone that believes in this sort of stuff, but it's just evil that anyone believes that someone could go to 'hell' and be tortured for something that they didn't choose to be.

I don't want to tell people that something they believe isn't true, but I simply cannot standby whilst someone believes that they are condemned to eternal pain for something completely natural. I would say more, but these are your beliefs. I'm sorry if it offends you, but you're NOT going to hell.

13. Kidd

Kidd Guest

^^^^^
    I agree with this.

I mean, look at it logically. If God made animals gay then how bad could it really be? Besides, if you go to hell you'll be in good company. I'll be there, and I'll say "It's not even that hot?"

14. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Being gay or bi or a lesbian doesn't qualify you for Hell. Hell is a place for murderers and rapists and bullies. I mean really, all these religious people say that being gay is a sin, well if you think about it, nearly everyone has commited sin in their lifetime. Religious people who think its a sin really do annoy me, which is why I don't associate with them. So no, youre not going to Hell.

15. Airplanes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As a side point too, Hell isn't a biblical teaching anyway, so you won't be going there. :slight_smile:
    (turns into bible thumper for just a few seconds)

Ecclesiates 9:5 states: For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all..

If the Bible says that they are not conscious of anything, how could they be tormented in a hell?

Sheol (or Hell as some call it) as mentioned in the Bible, is the common resting place of mankind. Not a firey furnace. :slight_smile: I've forgotten the exact location where it says this, but I'm sure I could find it for you if you'd like.

So in short, don't worry. :grin:

16. October

I will use these points during the next conversation I have with my religious friends about homosexuality...which will probably be soon. I don't want to bash their beliefs but I have just as much right to express pro-homosexual beliefs as they do to express anti-homosexual beliefs.

Don't worry, you offended me in no way, and I would be open to hearing your own beliefs.:slight_smile:

17. CrystalDecanter

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Seriously, if you actually read the entire Bible, it will be impossible to take it literally. I can't say what other conclusions you might reach, but it's really obvious that the Bible is the work of human beings. They actually dealt with this very nicely in an episode of Glee a while back.

18. ANightDude

The Bible is really more to be more symbolic than factual. God doesn't send his own creations to hell for being exactly what he wanted.

Hell is only mentioned like seven times in the Bible, and none of them even mention a firey burning place for sinners. Hell is really more to represent the absence of God in one's life. That's it. Don't worry about things like that. People often punish what they don't understand.

19. Ridiculous

Hell is a fairytale. Live your life how you want; don't live in fear of something that doesn't exist.

20. Obsidian

What I don't understand is why a benevolent, loving God would damn people to eternal torture