1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scared of gay couples?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by rx79g, Apr 9, 2012.

1. rx79g

So this seems really silly but by now I'm fairly sure that I'm gay, or bi leaning toward gay, and I have no problem with gay people or being around them (obviously) yet every time I see a gay couple in real life I freak out. I get panicky and feel anxious and really scared. I also simultaneously get really angry and then think something along the lines of "how the hell did I think I was gay, that's just weird/wrong." I don't understand how I can want to be with a guy or imagine being with a guy, but then when I see it be so disturbed. Am I just not totally comfortable with the idea of being gay yet? I'd that is it how do I get more comfortable with it?

2. BajanBoy13

I think you are not really comfortable with being gay yet but don't worry you will get there:slight_smile: I used to be like that as well until I totally accepted myself.You will get there.

3. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

Dude, you're here. You're gay. Now go find a guy who shares a mutual physical attraction to you, so you're next post can be all about the amazing, sweaty, manly, grunting crazy gay sex you had.

Go with my blessing! Go now!

PS: And be sure to use protection and don't be an idiot who falls for some lame "dude I'm totally clean/safe" line.

4. Linthras

Linthras Guest

It seems to be your struggling with your sexuality.
    This can take a long time, you should let it happen, don't force yourself into any box or corner.
    Take the time to find out who you are and to whom and why you are attracted.
    I think your 'fear' from gay couples might come from a subconscious notion that you have to fit the image they present of gay people. The great thing is, you don't need to.
    Just be yourself and engage with the world from that starting point.:icon_bigg
    Lot's of support and best regards, Thomas

5. Kohut

Kohut Guest

Haha, you remind me of myself. I used to think like that. Unfortunately, by that time, I didn't have anybody to tell me this, but you'll think differently when you meet the right one. :slight_smile: You're just not yet comfortable with being gay. It's normal, really. Just give yourself some time.

Besides, back then, I hadn't met in person a single gay couple living together. Now that I know one, I think they are lovely, and I wish I could be like them. :grin:

6. Tiny Catastrophe

I agree with Kohut. I used to think the same thing when I was younger. My cousin had been dating a girl (she's a girl as well) and I used to think that was so weird and I was embarrassed to be seen with them in public and stuff like that. I got over it. It just takes time.

7. TheAMan

You could be because you're still struggling with your sexuality, however that may not be the case. I know I'm bisexual and I accept it but gay couples do freak me out a little too. I will admit that I'm becoming used to it though and it's getting less and less freaky. I think once you fully accept yourself, the same will happen with you.

8. jimL

It's most likely because of what society has drilled into your and my head......it's wrong, wrong, wrong. I let society and my church tell me how I should live my life for most of my life......don't do the same thing. You won't be happy! Go with your heart!

9. Kohut

Kohut Guest

This is so true. People tell us all the time that it is wrong. We grow up thinking it is wrong, hence it takes some time to understand that it is other people who are wrong. And the fact that there aren't many gay couples (at least that we can realise it) around us in the streets doesn't help either.

10. BajanBoy13

I actually am kinda weirded out by really really feminine couples (men) Idk why but the rest are good to me :slight_smile:

11. Bree

My foster-sister (who is like a twin) had an edge of that- not uncomfortable in theory, but a bit in practice. I got her watching Queer as Folk (the American version), skipping past the sex-scenes because she's a bit of a prude, and now she doesn't even notice. Desensitization- flooding technique.