1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Damn It...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by secretguyX, Apr 9, 2012.

1. secretguyX

So, my brother found out that I'm gay. My mom's laptop had a virus, and he was trying to get on my account to see what it was. I had a bit of a bipolar related breakdown, but he ended up getting on anyways, and saw emptyclosets in my history, and I'm not sure what else. Yeah, I forgot to delete my history. :eusa_doh: I don't know if my mom overheard this. But I really don't want him to know, especially without me saying it myself. He said "no one cares if you're gay, it's 'normal' nowadays, but you don't have to act like a bitch about it.", but it was angrily and rudely. I can't really talk to my friends about it, most of them don't know, and the ones who do I would rather talk to in person about it. I was talking to my Canadian friend, but it's not the same over text. I don't feel like ever seeing him again. But I guess I'll have too... I've calmed down somewhat from a few hours ago, but I'm still paranoid and shit. :help:

Also, my mom said she talked to my neurologist, and said if I were to be tested for ADHD, we'd need signed papers from all of my teachers. It's not like they'd see that I really struggle, so they'll say I'm just fine. And I get good report card grades. So she's going to think I'm making it up. But it doesn't take normal people from 6pm to 2am to do homework, and I don't even finish it then. And I can never concentrate. And other reasons as well. And now I'm not going to be able to be even tested for it.

2. BudderMC

I wouldn't worry about your brother's reaction too much (or, try not to). I'd definitely go talk to him about it. If I had to guess, I'd say his reaction's due to:

- He's upset that you were hiding it from him, and that's the way he found out
    - He genuinely thinks it isn't a big deal, to the point that he doesn't understand why you need to go about hiding it
    - Some sort of competition for attention/sibling rivalry kinda thing

When you're feeling better, go talk to him. You can even just open the conversation by asking what he meant when he said what he said. It'll help give you a sense as to whether he was really upset or not, and gives you the opportunity to ask him to keep it from your mom for now.

Try not to stress too much about it (*hug*)

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That, honestly, sounds like BS. It's possible that your insurance provider needs some sort of documentation to justify paying for the diagnostic testing, but I'd think a letter from your guidance counselor or principal would suffice. Additionally, there are medical privacy issues involved, and I'm not even sure it would be legal to require letters from all your teachers, so somebody (either your mom or your neurologist) is probably bullshitting you.

I'm not up to date on current testing for ADHD, but I believe, last I checked, it is psychological testing, not neurological. If your school has a staff psychologist or social worker (most do), you might see if you can make an appointment with him/her and s/he may be able to do a workup and diagnostic evaluation on you that bypasses your insurance company and neurologist entirely.