1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being in the closet

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Zanich, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Zanich

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been having a few problems recently, mainly from the fact that I'm still pretty much in the closet. I have my senior prom coming up and I'm being somewhat pressured into finding a girl to go with. Did anyone else here just go with someone just to keep up appearances or just hang with friends?

It's also kind of interfering with my daily life. It's getting to the point where I have a perpetual stomach ache from worrying about it so much. I've told a few people I'm gay, but I'm not ready to advance past them. I'm not sure whether to just consider coming out soon or not? I know that's not something someone else can answer I just find it extremely difficult.

I would love to be able to go with the man of my choice other than some girl I don't feel any connection to. Kinda difficult being in the closet though. A lot of people seem to have good reactions coming out, but for me It's just really hard. And even though I would say I've accepted it, I still feel ashamed of myself at times.

2. Cloudbreaker

In my high school when people didn't have anyone to go with (for whatever reason), they would go in groups of three or four. That's what I did during my junior year. I don't know if that is an option at your school, but it may be worth looking into. For my senior prom I went with a girl, but it was definitely not a date. Just me and a friend hanging out at a party having a good time. It was fun and I have no regrets about it.

3. jumpingheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I totally know how you are feeling. I have my senior prom coming up, and no one knows that i'm a lesbian. I'm going to prom with a boy that lives down the street from me as just friends, but a part of me does want to go to prom with someone who I actually like.

My prom plan is to get to prom and hang out with all of my close friends and just to have a good time. I don't think you should get too stressed out about your prom, and you should go with a group of your friends so that you don't have to worry about having a date.

4. Zanich

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the replies. Some good ideas. Guess I'll look into just hanging out with some friends when it comes.

5. TheAMan

I feel you man. I'm about to go to senior prom to though since I'm bi, it's not that big of a deal going with a girl. Still I'd like nothing better than to go with a guy I like but I'm just not ready for that yet. I say just go and make the best of it.

6. Farouche

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Would the man of your choice be okay with that? Because if he would, I'd say go for it. You can always say you're going as friends.

7. Zanich

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's as good an idea as an Farouche, but I just don't know. Guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens. The friend route is definitely an option though.

8. Noir

I also have my senior prom coming up, and I would mostly say to go with friends. It seems like more of a "hang out with friends" event than a "date" event nowadays, anyway. Plus, that way you can still have fun and not feel pressured to come out just so you don't have to go with some random girl, you know? :slight_smile: It just sucks that my own backup plans have failed....my closest friend made it pretty clear she's not going, and now my other best friend (who I'm still going with in a group) has a date. There's at least one other couple I know of going with us, and no not one of them knows that I'm a lesbian, except for my sister. :eusa_doh:

9. natam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have just the same situation... it sucks... I have always lied and said to my friends when they asked me I like some girl or another.. now, it is one who my friends tell me she likes me and I should ask her out, but I feel like if I'll do that I'm lying to myself and I won't be happy.

:frowning2:

But I don't see how can I excuse anymore me not asking her out... By the way, if it was not clear I'm not outed to anyone and I just want to tell someone but I'm scared that they'll look at me differently (especially my guy friends).

Worst of all, I have a crush on one of my guy friends and I feel so bad because he will never love me back. :frowning2:

Sorry for the many topics it's just the first time I ever tell someone these things, I wanted to get these out of my heart.

What should I do especially about the prom? Ahhhh, I just want everyone to know but I'm so scared of their reaction.

10. ThatCoopKid

If it's senior prom, why should you care what others think? In a few weeks you'll be graduating, and most of the people that you think will turn on you are people you'll more than likely never talk to again.