1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Losing my mind

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by jumpingheart, Apr 10, 2012.

1. jumpingheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have accepted that fact that I am a lesbian. I have not told anyone and I have been keeping it a secret for awhile. I don't even know who I could tell. My family always make jokes about being gay and they say it would be okay (but i don't think they really mean it). I too scared to even think of coming out. I have no idea how my friends will react. How do I come out? Do I just say? I have no idea what to do. The thought of coming out scares me, but I don't want to have to keep hiding who I am. I feel as if I am backed into a corner with no where to go,

2. jumpingheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  3. Fisnou

Congrats on accepting yourself as a lesbian!:eusa_clap I know how hard that can be!

Start with someone you feel close to, someone you can trust. The way you say it (via text, phone, face-to-face, etc) and what you say to them is entirely up to you. You don't have to say "I'm a lesbian" but something like "I like girls" or even just a hint to start the conversation like "I don't think I'm attracted to guys all that much..." or anything to give a hint if you're uncomfortable saying "gay" or "lesbian".

I've come out face-to-face to 3 guys (a good friend and 2 exes) and my best female friend (on Facebook - she lives overseas) so far and I just could not say the words "gay" or "lesbian" so instead I used other words and it was easier.

Whatever you do, do it at your own pace and start with people you trust. And don't think that everyone's responses will be negative. You'd be surprised how accepting people can be! Good luck! (*hug*)

4. sevinup07

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    For me, I'm only telling the people who I really trust and tell everything, and my other gay/bi friends or ones who wouldn't care. I've pretty much decided now to just be myself and not hide anything (except maybe from my family). If everyone starts questioning me, I'll tell them. That way it just shows it's no big deal to how we interact, they just might see me with guys on occasion...

5. Phoenix91

I am in the same boat you are. I am able to relate and I know it's a stressful situation. I have not told anyone that I am a lesbian and its that dark secret that gnaws at my gut. The questions you asked are the same I ask myself frequently. I agree with Fisnou by starting in telling someone you trust ( something I haven't done). I guess if you don't want to flat out say "I am a lesbian" to friends you can slowly lead to that type of conversation by starting a topic about homosexuality or something. If you want to see what they think about gays and test the waters you can say something like " oh I saw an article about prop 8 what do you think about that" or mention to them something that relates to homosexuality and get their opinion about it.
    You should tell your friends and such when you feel ready. I mean you can even get creative if you want. For example I heard a story of a girl who when coming out to her mother what she did Is buy The Advocate, which if you don't know is a lgbt magazine, and put it on her kitchen table so her mom would see it and she could tell her. But whatever you decide to do, I hope everything goes well and you feel much better.